I'm back with some updates on my project.

remofromcanada

Daily Driver
Hi everyone,

I'm back!, after some time away due to me starting a new job and also buying a 1994 toyota pickup that needed some work.
My machinist got back to me after MONTHS of giving me the runnaround and losing the first set of valve seals I brought to him. He told me my block will need to be bored .030 over and my crank .010 under. Now that I can finally buy some pistons, what kinds of pistons should I be looking at and from what vendor?
Keeping in mind I am building my 1300 with H beam con-rods, completely rebuild head with isky springs, new valves, seals, keepers, street cam from midwest and 2000 yamaha carbs that have been re-jetted.
I also got my megajolt lite jr in the mail and I am slowly getting everything I need to finish the engine. I'm just looking for some suggestions on pistons.
I was thinking about using stock fiat bearings because I saw that they are good to 120 hp. What do you think about that for this application?

Even though I've been away for a bit, I've still been making progress on the 74. I just wanted to consult with some of you who have so much knowledge working on these engines.

Last edited:
Where did you find the 120mm long H beams to suit the 1300??

Piston choice will be determined by what compression ratio your wanting to achieve. To build high compression into a 1300 requires domed pistons, which means forged, which means $$...

SteveC

HAHAHA... good eye, Pete...

... you contemptuous old fart!

Don'tcha got better things ta do than to wordsmith the youngsters here???

HAHAHA! Sure made me laugh though... guess I'm no better!

Contemptuous old fart????

... you contemptuous old fart!

Don'tcha got better things ta do than to wordsmith the youngsters here???

HAHAHA! Sure made me laugh though... guess I'm no better!

Lemme tell ya a story about a pot and a kettle! :nana:

Anyway, I might not be as old as you think I am, but as they say, it's not the years, it's the mileage.:sad:

Sorry I missed the BOFI show, I'd sure like to make that one of these years.

Pete

HAHAHA... Love to have ya, Pete...

Gilles picked up and hosted Albert and his wife this year... I think a great combo as Connie is more comfortable speaking Spanish and I think Rudy cared for his travels a few years before.

I was honored to host Brett Melacon, his son and travel companion last year when they brought the Multipla across from Chicago... and several other folks over the years.

So do let us know if and when ya plan to come out this way... anytime actually. Gives us an excuse to tour the shops and museums as well!

Most gracious of you, Tony....

We may take you up on that! If work ever slows down, that is...

Sorry Remo! Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Pete

First thing I would do is fire your machinist, I would not trust any thing the guy said after waiting that long AND losing parts. Go to a shop that dealerships use they would tend to be more professional and timely.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Got to wonder...

It is unusual for this engine to need a re-grind on the crank and and bore. Would it be possible to post images of said crank, bearings, cylinder and pistons? I'm skeptical of the real need for this.

The bearings can handle a LOT more than 120 Bhp.. turbo uno engines have made several hundred horse power on similar bearings, it a matter of bearing life, power handling ability.

Some where I have an image of a tired con rod bearing that came out of the LeMons engine after 75+ hours of race time, it's well, knackered.. but the journals an big end were fine. New bearings and it's was good to go. Basically, bearings are not the limiting factor..

Have good idea of what you expect from this engine and what it will be used for and this will help focus on what really needs to be done on this engine to meet these goals.

Think complete system of intake, exhaust, cylinder head modifications, bottom end.. everything must work well together for the engine to meet your target goals.

Bernice

Hi everyone,

I'm back!, after some time away due to me starting a new job and also buying a 1994 toyota pickup that needed some work.
My machinist got back to me after MONTHS of giving me the runnaround and losing the first set of valve seals I brought to him. He told me my block will need to be bored .030 over and my crank .010 under. Now that I can finally buy some pistons, what kinds of pistons should I be looking at and from what vendor?
Keeping in mind I am building my 1300 with H beam con-rods, completely rebuild head with isky springs, new valves, seals, keepers, street cam from midwest and 2000 yamaha carbs that have been re-jetted.
I also got my megajolt lite jr in the mail and I am slowly getting everything I need to finish the engine. I'm just looking for some suggestions on pistons.
I was thinking about using stock fiat bearings because I saw that they are good to 120 hp. What do you think about that for this application?

Even though I've been away for a bit, I've still been making progress on the 74. I just wanted to consult with some of you who have so much knowledge working on these engines.

Thanks Bernice

I am not able to show pictures of the crank because it is at the machinist right now, and has been there since February. He has been giving me the runn-around, mostly due to the fact that he has contracts with many large shops in the city. He does come very highly recommended however. The 1300 engine that was in my 74 had a clearly blown head gasket when I took it all apart. There are many pictures in some of my previous posts. Many areas were corroded including the cylinders.

My goal for this vehicle is a street car that I can take to the track. Some place in between. I wanted to do up the 1300 engine to have something different than most are doing and keep some of the originality. Even though putting motorcycle carbs takes away from that.

I am constantly learning and always appreciate sound advice from knowledgeable people like yourself.
Thanks
Remo

Hello Remo,

IMO, the best way to enjoy a performance 1300 is to make it into a "rev monster" or one of those 9,000 RPM red line small displacement racer engines. To do this, you'll need to get the weigh of the rotating components low as possible (pistons, con rods and etc..) finely balance all rotating components including the flywheel, clutch, crank pulley and etc.. Fit a rather extreme cam that is closer to a race cam than a performance street cam, BV head and no less than 10 to 1 compression or as much as the fuel available will allow. The 1300 can produce a surprising amount of power if use in this way..

You will need to alter the gearing to get the most out of a rev monster 1300.

There are few production engines from this era that have the RPM capability designed into this FIAT engine.

Bernice

I am not able to show pictures of the crank because it is at the machinist right now, and has been there since February. He has been giving me the runn-around, mostly due to the fact that he has contracts with many large shops in the city. He does come very highly recommended however. The 1300 engine that was in my 74 had a clearly blown head gasket when I took it all apart. There are many pictures in some of my previous posts. Many areas were corroded including the cylinders.

My goal for this vehicle is a street car that I can take to the track. Some place in between. I wanted to do up the 1300 engine to have something different than most are doing and keep some of the originality. Even though putting motorcycle carbs takes away from that.

I am constantly learning and always appreciate sound advice from knowledgeable people like yourself.
Thanks
Remo

Back