I'm no longer a 2-stroke virgin

budgetzagato

Administrator
I have a very old gas-powered weed trimmer (weedeater). It hasn't run right in years, and after my neighbor's electric one died a smokey death (not while I was using it thankfully) I decided to really look into getting mine working. :read:

I found some YouTube videos on rebuilding the little carbs on these things, found a rebuild kit online, and waited. While waiting I dismantled the thing, and disassembled the little aluminum cube of a carb. I've never been inside one of these things, very simple, yet obviously lots of ways for them to not work.

Finally the kit arrived, and I eagerly rebuilt the carb and reinstalled it the the weed trimmer. A few tugs at the starter cord and no joy. :mad: Many more tugs and still no joy. :censored:

Finally it dawned on me. The gas in the can I was using was probably a year old if not two years old. :dunce:

Poured that into the Vanagon and went for some fresh. Mixed up a can of fresh gas with the 2-strok oil and after some fiddling, it fired up. Warmed it up and adjusted the idle speed and lo/hi mixtures. Probably spent way too much time fixing this thing, but it feels good. :king:

Bad gas in a 2stroke can be bad news... I've read stories in dirt-bike magazines of guys bragging how far they rode with almost no oil in the mix, bad gas, etc... But your local mower shop probably has a pile of weedeaters and chainsaws made up of toasted pieces of junk from owners running bad gas thru them and burning them up. I know I've donated a chainsaw to that pile.

Back