inner cv boots (1300)

phil

True Classic
hi guys , when pulling gearbox off I notice my inner CV boots to the gearbox ,someone (pre-owner) has put blue silicone on to seal them !
I found the seal on the drive shaft to boot is loose ? should I get new
boots ? , is using a silicone a common practice ?

thanks Phil

1300 CV Boot R&R

Hi,

The 1300 CV boots are notorious for leaking and being a general PITA.

If someone smeared silicone on them they were trying to stop a leak. Fresh boots rarely leak unless you muck up the install and pinch the boot. I just had a 128 leave the shop that had this problem. More than 2qts of trans fluid and it would run out.

The area where the axle enters the boot may look loose, but there's actually a seal inside of there, riding on a race. When the seal gets tired (or the axles get worn in this race / seal area) you'll start getting leakage out that end as well.

We have complete 1300 CV boots with pre-installed races/ seals HERE.

Makes R&R'ing your axles relatively easy, although you will need to detach the control arms, unstake the axle nut, and fully remove both axles from the car to do it.

I just did both sides of a 128 in 2 hours.

-Matt

hi matt ,

thanks for your reply , I will check out your shop :) , already pulled
off shock,hub,wish bone for clean up and paint I will pull over side off and do the same ! , and get some new boots I,m like to do the job right ! :thumbsup:

thanks phil

i found that in order to evenly tighten the bolts holding the flange, you need to load the suspension

hi wannabfast ,

oh I got you, so your drive shafts are level before you do up your
flanges good idea ! :thumbsup:

Phil

silicone

hi guys , when pulling gearbox off I notice my inner CV boots to the gearbox ,someone (pre-owner) has put blue silicone on to seal them !
I found the seal on the drive shaft to boot is loose ? should I get new
boots ? , is using a silicone a common practice ?

thanks Phil

In my experience, the signature of silicone sealant usually means someone that didn't know what they are doing was there before you.
On 4 speed cars changing the boots with new ones that include the seal & seal holder whenever the transaxle is out is a real good idea. Most of these cars are now high mileage, so I always inspect the sealing surface on the axles. Minor wear can usually be ground & polished out without making the outer diameter of the surface smaller than the seal, but worn axles will need to be repaired or replaced.

axle repair

I get "replace", but how do you repair them?

I chuck them up in my lathe & grind down the seal surface until the imperfections are almost gone. Then with finer & finer abrasives I can usually mirror polish the surface at about the same time the imperfection(s) is gone.
If you go too small, smaller than the seal inner diameter, it's junk.
The surface can be repaired with a sleeve, I think CR Seals may even make one of an approximate size, or your trusty machinest could pull a sleeve off. You could even weld up the surface, but that seems like too much work for me!

Back