Interesting Mustang I photo.

Steve Hoelscher

True Classic
Most people here are probably aware of the Ford Mustang I Show Car from 1962; mid-engine, V-4, targa top, wedge. Sadly, Ford never did anything with this design. Well, this morning a facebook friend of mine who works in the auto industry dumped a batch of Mustang I photos. They included this photo of the show car with a set of wheels I either hadn't seen or hadn't noticed before.

Mustang Prototype.jpg

This thread from 2010 has some links to info on this prototype in anyone is interested.

It is pretty amazing how X-like it was. If it would have gone into production, it would have looked even more X-like after the marketing folks forced the addition of a roof.

I just downloaded this picture from that old thread for posterity. This picture doesn't look all that old, so I guess the prototype survived.
IMG_7185.JPG

Some more I collected over the years.
ford01.jpgford02.jpgford03.jpgford05-660x431.jpgford06-660x431.jpg

Attachments

• ford07.jpg
    ford07.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 74
  • ford08-660x431.jpg
    ford08-660x431.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 79
  • ford09.jpg
    ford09.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 75
In the "design ideas for X's" thread I posted about thoughts to make a "roadster" or "speedster" version of the X. With a very similar windshield and targa bar design as on that Mustang prototype. My inspiration came from these Ferraris:

ferrari-250-p-2.jpg
download.jpg
4315e16d6d5bb97e2110982af6a488fc.jpg

I also like the side scoops on the Mustang. Reminds me a little of the X1/9 prototype:

34685532e18a6be5ea1afc02949aacf9.jpg

this photo of the show car with a set of wheels I either hadn't seen
Aren't those wheels like on the Fiat Dino?

This thread from 2010 has some links to info on this prototype in anyone is interested.

It is pretty amazing how X-like it was. If it would have gone into production, it would have looked even more X-like after the marketing folks forced the addition of a roof.

I just downloaded this picture from that old thread for posterity. This picture doesn't look all that old, so I guess the prototype survied...

The prototype is in the Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn.
My father was working for Ford in that era, and gave me a period brochure about that car. I'll see if I can find it and scan it.

Brian

In the "design ideas for X's" thread I posted about thoughts to make a "roadster" or "speedster" version of the X. With a very similar windshield and targa bar design as on that Mustang prototype. My inspiration came from these Ferraris:

View attachment 73393View attachment 73394View attachment 73395

I also like the side scoops on the Mustang. Reminds me a little of the X1/9 prototype:

View attachment 73396

Aren't those wheels like on the Fiat Dino?
Now that X1/9 prototype is cool looking, that is what Fiat needs to be selling here.

Now that X1/9 prototype is cool looking, that is what Fiat needs to be selling here.
That would be true if they could sell it for what an X sold for in inflation adjusted dollars. Based on the photo, my guess is that it would be competing in a much higher price range against the likes of Porsche, Lambo, etc. When I bought my X, they were not a whole lot more expensive than a 128 (~$4K).

Perhaps but like the X if they could leverage off existing cars for powertrain and other hardware they could keep the price reasonable. Make it like the MX-5 where lightness was perimount.

Perhaps but like the X if they could leverage off existing cars for powertrain and other hardware they could keep the price reasonable. Make it like the MX-5 where lightness was perimount.
I agree, but looking at that photo, I'm trying to picture which affordable car they borrowed those wheels and brakes from. My guess is that this car would be priced at least in the Alfa 4C range.

This thread is drifting just a bit, so, I better give it a little nudge too...

I love that pic too. And I agree it looks like it would be competing in a higher price range. But then again, that's what I thought about the X1/9 back in 1974. I think it would make a great "modern" X1/9.

I have always thought this car was more like if Lancia, the real Lancia :), made a sports car from the Fulvia the Mustang 1 was pretty close to how it would have turned out.

It is a lovely little, and I mean little, car in person.

IMG_1569.jpeg
IMG_1568.jpeg

I agree, but looking at that photo, I'm trying to picture which affordable car they borrowed those wheels and brakes from. My guess is that this car would be priced at least in the Alfa 4C range.
Remember this is a prototype production models are usually toned down as they get more realistic hardware like wheels and brakes. FIAT owns Chrysler and between the two of them they have lots of engine/trans choices from many front wheel drive models. I think you should look at the Miata as a price point to hit.

The prototype is in the Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn.
My father was working for Ford in that era, and gave me a period brochure about that car. I'll see if I can find it and scan it.

Brian
Found it!

Attachments

• mustang1.jpg
    mustang1.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 72
  • mustang2.jpg
    mustang2.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 72
  • mustang3.jpg
    mustang3.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 84
  • mustang4.jpg
    mustang4.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 73
  • mustang5.jpg
    mustang5.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 67
  • mustang6.jpg
    mustang6.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 71
  • mustang7.jpg
    mustang7.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 71
Regarding the design similarities between the Mustang prototype and the X1/9, my wife saw a Hot-Wheels model of the Mustang and bought it for me, because the style and the color were similar to my X

IMG_0990.jpeg

As my father often said: "A scale drawing screws up a lot of good ideas".
Now of days with ProE/Solidworks etc it is very easy to forget the scale of what you are working on. One can zoom in relatively infinitely with ease and it can seem like you have plenty of room to fit an idea into the space… Then you remember you are talking about a a few thousandths and the idea goes out the window, so to speak.

On the topic of toy cars and having a sense of scale:

108259494.jpg

When I found this image, I was actually looking for a picture of a similar, more recent sculpture I had seen with a Porsche. But this one (titled "Vroom, vroom", from 1966, in London) has Fiat Related Content.

On the topic of toy cars and having a sense of scale:

108259494.jpg

When I found this image, I was actually looking for a picture of a similar, more recent sculpture I had seen with a Porsche. But this one (titled "Vroom, vroom", from 1966, in London) has Fiat Related Content.
That image looks like it had an inspirational impact on Monty Python.

Tsk, tsk. You guys don't get it. The vehicle is scaled to the wheels, so both cars appear the same size.
Wheel molds are a big investment, and if you put all your vehicles on the same (revolutionary for the time, super fast rolling) wheels, you save engineering, warehousing, and production hardware $$$.

Back