Interesting new engine design

Was first promoted in 1952, I saw it several times in Popular Mechanics in the 1960's, last time in 1990's it was called Dynacam. Always seeking investors. If it worked, after 70 years, Toyota and Honda would have made millions of them by now. All the reaction torque is loaded on the sides of the pistons.

If it worked, after 70 years, Toyota and Honda would have made millions of them by now.
Just like the carburetor design that claims to get 200 MPG. :D

200MPG_Pogue-carburetor-cutaway.jpg

This thread hasn't gone off topic enough yet. :p

Somehow this idea of the "new engine design" in a X reminds me of a old Xweb thread. I think it was @JimD (?) that showed us a very small industrial diesel engine that someone swapped into their X. It didn't make a lot of power (almost the same as a stock X engine if I recall), but it got amazing fuel mileage. And that brought up the idea of utilizing the X to develop a hypermileage vehicle; doing every possible mod to meet a goal of getting maximal fuel economy. Being fairly lightweight and fairly aerodynamic the X would be a decent candidate for that. Although I suppose EVs now getting all of the attention these days so maximizing fuel economy is less of a focus. :(

Back