Interesting Water Pump PIX

halojm

True Classic
With all the discussion about cooling system effectiveness, Scirocco radiators, etc, I thought I'd post a picture of the original water pump I just took out of my 1980 X with 40k original miles (I have all the service records and it never had a water pump and it never overheated). I drove and raced this X with the water pump looking like this and it never overheated. Also, all that stuff is sludge, not corrosion, and it cleaned right off with a wire wheel (I still replaced it).
Dave
WaterPump.jpg

:clap: Congrats, one of your car's previous owners used mostly water in the cooling system instead of coolant. Job well done :wall:

Might wanna check all the cooling pipes

Not Corrosion

It's congealed goo. There was still coolant in it. The goo came right off with a wire brush.
Dave

WOW... Hopefully...

... this VIRUS stays in Philly... What a mess... Looks like this impeller was a "sacrificial anode" for your cooling system!

Cleaned Up PIX

Dan, Thanks for the response and especially for your previous "cleaning out the coolant tubes" post. I cleaned mine out and they were fine, with none of the congealed goo I found on the water pump impeller. After a quick scraping and wire brushing, the impeller now looks like this. Not bad for a 30 year old part!
Dave
WaterPumpAfter.jpg

Please don't play dumb.

You know very well they're both talking about what appears at the bottom of every post you make. Why make such an obvious provocation so soon after all of the NFC shenanigans?

Not quite...

Just tired of dealing with the trollers.

:sigh:

We (the mods) are developing a policy on this sort of misbehavior. Please be patient, we also have lives outside of Xweb.

Back