Interior Color?

Larry

True Classic
Hi,

My '79 X has a brown dash with the standard cracks and a sort of orange-ish interior seats, door cards and the rear interior wall. The e-brake cover matches the dash. The original carpet was replaced by the PO's mechanic with a sort of tan/light brown, non-Fiat X1/9 carpet that he cut to fit. It's held up pretty well over the years but it's showing its age.

I have access to a black dashboard with no cracks that I'm planning on putting into the car. I'll replace the center console with one that is black to match.

I'm sort of split on the color of a few things:

1. The interior - seats, door cards and rear firewall. Either the original orange-ish, or tan.

1. The carpet - either black or tan.

2. The door pulls - either black or tan.

3. The e-brake cover - either black or tan.

I'm seeking opinions on which colors to go with.

One concern is I know it's difficult to keep a tan carpet clean, but I've also heard that can be a concern with a black carpet too.

I keep the top off my X most of the time - except for when it's raining or too cold to drive with the top off (30-40 degrees for this jaded Californian).

Opinions?

Thanks,

Larry
'79 X1/9

Well,

you have a lot of choices, including black and tan. In the end do what YOU want to do, but seeing other interiors can sometimes give you ideas you may not have considered. I had a similar interior, I think it was called "camel" for color, in my 77. I did not like it, and did not like the light camel color and dark brown or black, thought they clashed.

Here's what it looked like and what I've done (so far) to change the interior color. I went with a combo of dark brown and yellow, my exterior color. I am having the carpet re-dyed to match the rest of the dark brown, or having new put in dependent upon whether it can be saved or not.

There are a few yellow trim items in my interior...wheel, shift leather, seat trim (like early hot rods) and trim around my subwoofer...but I won't add anymore...I think its very easy to overdo it, and make the interior look too garish. I may have already done it :(

Be sure to post pcitures after you are done, and good luck.

Note you are looking at the interiors of TWO different X1/9's below.
My 1979 X's interior Camel with brown leather seats
i_1_zps088970fe.jpg

My current 1977 with camel interior and camel seats
4549449172_d05d1d95a4_b_zps1a73ad1a.jpg

Two pictures of current interior after color change (carpet needs to be done)
DSC_0253-1_zpsa90b3c37.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget Larry...

If I haven't made a believer out of you yet, you can prove it to yourself for $5.99.

Duplicolor has all sorts of colors in their DYE line-up... Vunyl and Fabric sprays.

If your dealer doesn't have what you want, ask them to look it up for you. O'Reilly's would do this for me and I'd have the dye the next day.

If ya wanna go brown, then spraying that black dash would be the way to go. Otherwise there are unlimited possibilities and that gets into the OPINION area that I like to steer clear of.

Jim,

Looking good. My seats and door cards are more towards the earth tones in brown & tan. My dash was cracked and badly damaged. I filled the cracks and voids with a vinyl repair compound, but knew I couldn't match the color or grain. So my "solution" was to spray a wrinkled finish paint. It was supposed to be brown, but was actually black. It isn't the greatest, but for the time being is "close enough for government work".

Maybe someday I might do the dash differently, but it isn't a big priority for the moment.

Mike

Pictures from an a very low mileage 79 x19

Here are pics of my 79 x19.

Some are from the original owner. 0-3000 miles
Some are from the second owner. 3000-3800 miles
Some from me 3800-4200 miles (Car still in hiding from wife)

I fail to understand what the big deal with cars and wifes are. I have a wife and I have 6 cars... I just dont get it... Since I married her I have purchased more than 50 cars...:)

She hates foreign cars

She has an "made in America" mindset.

Says I should get a camero....a good American icon.

Camero made in Canada, engineered in Australia, Japanese Takata airbags & seat belts...maybe I should not confuse her with facts.

Will

oooooooooooh.. Sounds like you never had the talk or set up any ground rules.... Well in that case buy the Fiat and put camaro stickers all over the car and ask her to drive it. Once she falls in love with it remove the stickers... :eat:

Fiat 500

I came home last year and was asked "did u buy a fiat 500?"

My answer was "no"

Then she pulls out an envelope for proof of insurance for a fiat 500.

So I tell her, "I pick it up Friday, so technically I did not buy the car".... Heheh

She got over that

Well if it makes her feel better tell her that the 500 is made in Mexico by Mexicans and then sold to Americans for 4000 dollars more than they sell for in Europe so that we can fund the underfunded UAW pension. So the Fiat 500 benefits Americans that used to build the Camaro....:rolleyes:

Back