Interior rear view mirror from another car?

Dave80GTSi

Original Owner 1978 X1/9 (now sold)
Has anyone ever discovered an interior rear view mirror from some other car which is a straight bolt-on match for the OEM X mirror?

Mine is in need of replacement, and I would like to find one which is capable of easy disassembly for cleaning (mine is foggy).

Thanks -DM

Can't help with direct bolt on replacement. The Volvo 240 series mirror works in terms of width/drop from windshield frame. Slightly wider, so better rear vision coverage. Requires new holes to be drilled, not a big deal. A small amount has to be shaved to make it flush with the frame

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG-1474.jpg

Last edited:
The Advance Auto Parts chain stores near me all have a line of universal replacements, and one of the two interior replacements looks like it might work. Pretty similar in size and shape.

The mounts look similar, they are probably designed to meet a federal safety break-away standard.

My racecar has a much wider generic Chinese thing that just needed the holes "massaged" to fit the standard mount. It doesn't matter in my application but be careful going much bigger on the width on a road car as you will probably interfere with the visors.

Back