Intermittent wipers files

sdlsaginaw

Steven Lawson
For anyone interested, here's my programmable intermittent wipers files. It contains PIC code, and ExpressPCB schematic and board layouts. I'll add some parts lists and other documentation when I get a chance.

Currently it's been tested in a US 1300 and is plug & play.

It *should* work in a 1500 (at least a US '81) but I have not tested it there yet. I believe it requires one cut in a 1500.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45165157/FiatIntermittentWipers.zip

Enjoy. I don't want to build these, but might be willing to do a PCB order and/or program up some PICs if there's enough interest.

Oh, I was too, 4 times! I expected my download window to pop up, it didn't but was downloading anyway. Carry on.

Steven,
Great Work:geek:!

Yes I'm interested by you're kit , PCB and PIC MicroCTRL

Added connections diagram

I just added a connections diagram to the ZIP file, it shows both 1300 and 1500.

Regarding the wire cut on the 1500, it's because they bundled what used to be a separate wire for the washer into the turn signal connector. That needs to be split back out, unless you want to install a whole other pair of connectors for one wire.

You also must pull the wiper delay timer from the fuse panel on a 1500.

Operation

Figured I would review how the circuit works while it's on my mind...

First, the relays *always* control the wipers, regardless of the status of the delay circuit.

On a 1300 the wiper delay circuit operates while the wiper stalk is in the OFF position. To turn it off, momentarily flick the wipers on/off.

On a 1500 the wiper delay circuit operates while the wiper stalk is in the INT position. To turn it off move the stalk to one of the OFF/LOW/HIGH positions.

The delay circuit is controlled through the washer function of the stalk as follows:

A blip of the washer causes the wipers to make one pass. If you blip it again within 15 seconds the wipers will make another pass, then continue making passes over the same duration. If it starts to rain a little harder, blipping the washer again makes a pass and resets a new shorter duration.

For example, I blip the washer to clear my windshield. Ten seconds later it needs it again, so I blip the washer. Ten seconds later it needs it again, but the washers automatically make a pass. They continue this until disabled. Now, I notice my windshield is in need of a wipe only six seconds since the last pass. I blip the washer, now they make a pass every six seconds.

Holding the washer for over a half second activates the washer. That's not all though. Once you've had the washer on for about two seconds the wipers start. Once you release the washer, the wipers continue for another two seconds then stop.

Hey Steve, what if:

You blip it once, (from off) it sets a default to (say) 20 seconds delay.
You blip it again sometime after 1 second, it sets the delay time as you describe.

Then:
You blip it twice "any time" within 1 second, it RESETS the default time to 20 seconds. (thereby allowing a new delay time without shutting off and on.)

Constant pull with the lever for (say) >1 second to operate the wash pump at any time. A 1 second pull goes by rather fast and doesn't feel too long for the pump to operate IMHO.

So anything over a second can be used to operate the pump and be ignored by the timer.

What do you think?

Oh, and BTW, THANKS for posting all this. Now you've got me interested in designing PCB's from these guys!

I decided I wanted the default to be a single wipe so you could still do a one-time wipe without always having to stop unwanted repetition. Currently if someone splashes you or the car in front of you gets you with washer overspray, you blip once and forget about it.

The 15 second maximum delay value I picked was trying to maintain a balance. If the windows needed wiping less than 4x per minute it didn't feel bad just blipping them at that rate. Much beyond 15 seconds I was forgetting they were on autopilot and inadvertantly setting repetition when I only wanted a single blip.

Fortunately it's all software so when I get yours mailed out you can make it exactly the way you want it! :)

I only wish ExpressPCB would release their software for the iPad. I would have done this whole project on that if they did, or at least the schematic part. :)

BTW - I'll try getting your parts together this weekend. PM me your address again.

You blip it once, (from off) it sets a default to (say) 20 seconds delay.
You blip it again sometime after 1 second, it sets the delay time as you describe.

Then:
You blip it twice "any time" within 1 second, it RESETS the default time to 20 seconds. (thereby allowing a new delay time without shutting off and on.)

Constant pull with the lever for (say) >1 second to operate the wash pump at any time. A 1 second pull goes by rather fast and doesn't feel too long for the pump to operate IMHO.

So anything over a second can be used to operate the pump and be ignored by the timer.

What do you think?

Oh, and BTW, THANKS for posting all this. Now you've got me interested in designing PCB's from these guys!

A note on the files

The source is compiled with Microchip's MPLAB. It's free.

If you program one of these PICs, write down the calibration byte at the end of the PICs memory. It's unique for each PIC.

Some PIC programmers (mine) overwrite that byte so the timers get all screwed up. The proper value doesn't exist anywhere but that memory location, so once it's gone it's gone.

For my programmer I have to load the image, manually rewrite the calibration value into the end of the loaded image, THEN burn the program into the PIC.

Parts list

I just added a parts list with Digikey part numbers under the hardware directory.

Bob, your PIC is programmed and all the parts are packaged up ready to mail.

Great! Excited to see -

Thank you Steve. I'll post the result of my build and THANK YOU!
I'll be traveling to the Midwest over the next couple weeks but will be back on the weekends.

I've been meaning to see how Mac-X is coming along, should be doing it this weekend but have some things to finish up before I make the trip. Soon though, and I'll post an update.

The weather is starting to change here (it's getting warmer!) so I'm starting to get the "X" itch again. It's been an unusual winter here. (no snow since last October) Seems that our weather pattern ended up in Europe this year. We got the European weather, apparently.
No complaints! But I digress...
It's still February and we've got 1 and 1/2 months to go before we're out of the winter season. :hrmph:

Back