Intro and a bunch of engine/gearbox rebuild questions

First, the position of the retaining clip on the speedometer cable.
There is meant to be a short ~2" flat strip that's holed at one end and goes under the outer bolt of the thermostat cover and sticks across the bell-housing - the other end of the strip is a a half moon loop that the speedo cable pushes into. I'm sure there a picture somewhere...

Ics19 has it right. Here are a couple pictures of the rusty, crusty tab attached to the bottom bolt holding the thermostat cover to the thermostat housing. It is not a fancy piece, just a thin piece of steel with a bolt hole on one end and a half loop on the other. You could fashion a new on easily if you need to.

IM002532.JPGIM002533.JPG

Decided to revive this thread with an update.
A couple of weeks ago I finally got the car on the lift ready for reassembly, after having the rebuilt engine and gearbox sitting for most of the summer. Engine went in easily from the bottom, and during the last while it has gotten plumbed and wired.
Many thanks to Doug for mailing the exhaust gasket I forgot to order, and to Cliff for lending me his bucket of valve shims and a clutch cylinder mounting bracket when mine disappeared temporarily.
Cranked it without plugs until I got oil pressure, then installed plugs, poured in a little fuel and be damned if it didn't fire.
No coolant in it so I didn't run it at all.
In the spring, I will put in water, run a heat cycle, check for leaks, and retorque the head.
Then start the run-in.
I ran into two things I couldn't figure out from photos.
First, the position of the retaining clip on the speedometer cable. I installed a new one; the photo below shows the cable in a natural loop, but I cannot see anything to bracket it to. Easy to invent something but a photo of an early stock cable bracket would be great.
View attachment 37931

Second thing is a switch on the bottom of the transmission. There is a extension wire that reaches from a plug near the firewall to the switch.
I can reconnect it but my manual doesn't show it and I wonder what it is for. It connects to a plug with two purple/black and one green/white wire.
Here is a photo of the clip that holds the speedo cable to the bottom of the thermostat housing:

Fiat X19 Speedometer Cable Routing.jpg

The bottom connection on my transaxle (1974) tells the seat belt interlock system that the car is in gear. I removed the seat belt interlock system when the car was less than a week old so that bottom switch serves no purpose on my car but is still connected none the less.

Thanks
I think I erred when I put the choke cable in the upper bracket.
I tried the speedo as shown but I don't like the loop.
Probably it belongs where I attached the choke cable.

Leading then to a question of attaching the choke cable.
clutch cable 2.JPG

Thanks
I think I erred when I put the choke cable in the upper bracket.
I tried the speedo as shown but I don't like the loop.
Probably it belongs where I attached the choke cable.

Leading then to a question of attaching the choke cable.
View attachment 37937
I am using that same clip on my choke cable but since I am running dual DCNFs, I have it connected to one of the DCNF top bolts so it aligns with the DCNF cold start linkage. I forget where it was originally mounted with the DMTRA but perhaps there is a photo in one of the manuals.

Back