Is it stupid to ditch the open air filter and return to the original?

paul

XjunkieNL
After searching and reading many posts I’m in doubt which is the best way to go.
I’ve always thought an open air filter was best, but now I’ve learned air intake temperature is also very important.
Getting cool air to my current open air filter means creating a box around it and feeding it cool air.
It sounds simpler to take the original filter housing, putting in a K&N filter and removing the snorkel.
Next question would be: let it suck its own cool air or feed it air from the scope?
The hole where the carb cooler took its cool air from looks as a nice spot to connect the tubing to.
This would leave the side scope air open to cool the engine.
What do you guys think?

I was just going through the same debate recently. I read somewhere that for every 10 Degrees F reduction in intake charge temperature gives you a 1% increase in power. I suppose the converse could also be true.
It would be beneficial to do everything we can to reduce the temperature under the hood. Also I was thinking of of fitting some kind of tunnel on the underside of the engine bonnet to draw air from above.

I have the original air filter pan with a K+N style round filter element inside, then cut all but three inches off the snorkel, and fitted some 80mm aluminium ducting from this end, to the old carb cooling fan housing pipe. Cold air is drawn in from under the left side plastic trim.
I originally thought about having the fan left in so it could be turned on when stuck in traffic etc, but decided on a weight saving mission instead.

That's the exact set-up I'm thinking of.
Are you happy with it?
Did you notice any benefits after the change?

yer, noise levels are up above 3k rpm :laugh: actually the car felt great BUT thats probably because it was also properly tuned as it was running extremely lean after being thrown back together. No VTEC!

Not having any idea of the details of the air plumbing of a carbed X, can you explain or post a pic of the where the carbed X carb cooling fan picks up its air? I would have thought it came from the side air scoop.

Don't forget that cold air induction is nice for a denser fuel/air charge until winter comes.

Carbed engine bay

The carb cooling fan is in the upper left corner in this pic with the tube running over to the carb. It is a squirrel cage arrangement drawing air from the left side pod area below the gas fill tube.
fiatengine12sa.jpg

Not insane at all, but...

... the best thing about the free-flow filters on a carbed car is that they unclutter the engine compartment so amazingly well. That may be less of a consideration with an FI car.

It would be interesting to get some temperature readings from the engine compartment when the car is moving, see how much cooler we'd actually get from outside air.

If you do like Tony and remove the raintray and open out the grills in the side vents, that might improve engine compartment air temperature a fair amount too.

Aha!

I see....:hmm:

So if it draws air from the left pod, "technically" this air is coming from outside of the engine compartment.

On a carbed car, does the left side air scoop direct any air into the engine air intake? If not, could the inner portion of a right-side scoop such as that on my '86 be flipped in some way to provide some sort of directed external air source to the carb, in the same manner that the right side scoop provides a nipple so that some of its airflow is directed thru the silver flex tube to the backside of the alternator for cooling?

Papa Tony did something like that on his

carb'd 79. He cut a few inches off the air cleaner's intake tube and ran a duct from the tube down to the left side vent. IIRC, Tony claimed an increase of :

ONE BILLION HORSEPOWER!!
drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Muahahahahaha!!! ;)

Here is a photo of the engine bay as it is now.

On the left is the hole which connects to the left pod.
Below is the exit of the left scoop.
Location and size look 'perfect' to connect to the original air filter.

I believe Tony used the scoop and not the hole to the left pod.
Unfortunatly the photos of his old posts are gone.

Haha...yes, it will clutter the engine bay a little more.
my.php

Indeed I did...

I also used the stock filter tins... cut back the snorkel so a 2 1/2 flex hose fit onto it... and routed it to the LEFT side scoop for FRESH (cool) air. I modified BOTH scoops cutting off the grid work so that there are only VERTICAL vents and it flows about 25% more air.

Topping off this mod is a K&N round filter element (p/n 2710, I think... for about 30 bucks) that is a big improvement also. You can actually FEEL the difference.

Lastly... before ya do anything... take trip around the block in a rather "spirited" manner using full throttle applications at times... and note how it feels.

Now... remove YOUR current air filter TOP (or the whole thing...) and take a second trip trying to duplicate the first. Tell me if you don't FEEL the difference... and that difference being... that little square filter of yours is GOOD LOOKIN'... but highly restrictive... especially at WOT.

I actually feel the K&N, be it the round type for a carb or the cone type for FI cars, actually helps direct air or causes GOOD turbulants and actually ENHANCES performance, even over NO filter at all!

Tell me your thoughts after the trial...

Couldn't help but notice the signs of overflow on your nice stainless coolant expansion tank.

Does it hold pressure? If not, it may run hot and occasionally spew. Might be time for a new cap.:nod:

Catch can question

Paul, Where did you get your catch can that is tucked in behind your coolant reservoir?

Sounds as a fun experiment to do.
In general the Colombo filter is a little bit too open.
Some people over here put a pantyhose over it to prevent blockage.
But I have no idea how it works at high air flow speeds.
I will test it out tomorrow.

Tony have you ever considered taking air from the left pod.
And keep the left scoop open to cool the engine bay.

I checked the part numbers: 2710 is the cone and 2740 the round filter.

Couldn't help but notice the signs of overflow on your nice stainless coolant expansion tank.

Gregory, that was a mistake.
While changing the exhaust manifold I lost some coolant and overfilled the coolant tank.
Now the level has stabilized just above 50%.
Next time I change the coolant I will take it out for a clean.

Paul, Where did you get your catch can that is tucked in behind your coolant reservoir?

Eric, I got it of Ebay UK.
It's a nice piece of bling bling and includes the filter.
Will have to polish my coolant tank to make it a nice duo or at least clean it up ;)

Well...

No... I was looking for something of a RAM-AIR effect also... from the good old dayz of the 60's...

The side scoop does indeed FORCE air into the carb a bit... (another "trial-by-bum" I conducted around 80 mph on the 210 freeway...) and the POD area you suggest would have a very minimal impact in that regard. I also believe the air around the POD would tend to be hotter than the area around the side of the car.

(I forget all the statistics... but its something like a 10% increase in HP for every 10 degree reduction in inlet air temp. Seriously... and its all FREE!)

I initially wanted to build/install a SNORKEL over the roof (my own design that would allow the cover to still open...) but with something as outrageous as that... I figured I needed another 200hp to BACK UP the LOOK... If ya know what I mean. Again, the side scoop gives me this without going over the top, literally and figuratively, and as for cooling... Well...

I HIGHLY recommend removing the raintray... as it allows hot air to vent effortlessly, especially when STOPPED in traffic, as a condition I experience all the time in LA-LA-LAND here... and again... Cut off the gridwork inside the side vents and file smooth.

(I find the electronics are still well protected but I do "garage" my car. I don't think I'd let is get packed with snow...)

Many folks like to install a screen in a matching color or CONTRASTING color... which looks cool and gives everyone a peek at the effort you make to keep things clean and shiny. I just left mine open.

Lastly... the air cleaner you now have is kinda OK in regards to AIRFLOW... its when yur at WOT that I believe it really impacts the performance. But the other issue is HEAT, and it basking right in the middle of lots of it!

Let me know what ya think...

Ya know Paul... instead of going to all the trouble of...

... polishing that tank...

I could provide you with an UPDATED MODERN PLASTIC version painted in the color of your choice!

Even trade???

HAHAHAHA!

Back