Is this original?

DUB101

True Classic
hey guys, back again...with another question.

Copart refunded me the money for the yellow 74' X so I've been casually looking for another one. This car is on the complete opposite scale, very late production, F.I, A/C, power windows etc.

My apologies for the quality of the photos, I hope to have a few more in the near future but this is what i've got for now.

My question to you guys is, does someone know if this is possibly the original colour of this car? I know it has been re-painted, but I don't know if this was the cars colour from birth or it was changed. I've enclosed the VIN number as well to see if maybe someone can decipher it that way...

I am interested in it, but moving forward...I would be flying to see it, then driving it home. So i'd like as much information as possible before getting too deep into negotiations. It does however appear to be a pretty clean example of a very late production car but i've never seen this colour before.

VIN: ZBBBS00A3H7162159

Any help would be appreciated, thanks again.

cannot really tell from your pics, but yes, there was a light metallic blue available on the 87/88 models...

FFO08037.jpg

The paint code can be found...

On the VIN plate in the front trunk (at least on the early cars). It's a three-digit number. Get that from the seller and we can verify the original color.

Of course a respray in the original color would still be possible - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

On the VIN plate in the front trunk (at least on the early cars). It's a three-digit number. Get that from the seller and we can verify the original color.

Of course a respray in the original color would still be possible - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You might also find the color sticker on the underside of the rear boot lid.

Yeah i'm not upset that it was re-painted, just wanted to know it was the right colour or at least blue, not a red car that was painted or something. I'm going to try and obtain the paint code.

Curious about the bumpers

Were chrome bumpers available on the late model cars or have the bumpers on this car been replaced at some point?

Same color as mine

I jumped up and checked the garage, thought someone had taken my X! It's still there, in all it's dissasembled glory. :lol:

DSC02477.jpg

DSC02486.jpg

Wow, thats actually a beautiful color when you see a real picture! But you're right about the bumpers...I was under the impression that the later cars with black door handles/trim had black bumpers. Not a grave concern though as I'd likely powder coat those black and bring em' closer to the car or retro fit my Euro bumper set up.

I'm still going to see what I can do about getting the paint code, I would love to know for sure.

Thank you for the help thus far guys, this is why I signed up here...legit bunch of folks!

I'm sure this X is ...

probably tucked away in storage but get the seller to snap some shots of the trunk lid open...door jams etc..Then we can really dig in. :)

And really what are the chances of someone flipping the color from red, black or yellow for the Bertone 881 MID BLUE METALLIC - AZZURO MET...yes possible but certainly original color bodes well for you!

If the owner went through the trouble of a good paint job probably just liked the aluminum bumper look and had the originals polished.The OEM black on the front bumper gets many stone chips/scratches etc. if you put your X to daily use.

Your Euro bumper look won't mesh well with the late Bertone side door moldings so keep that in mind.And you will have to cut off all the molding anchors and weld or bondo fill in the holes.

Before you buy it if you get that far... I would invest the $35 for the Carfax to see where this X has lived.

Good luck!

I'm still going to see what I can do about getting the paint code, I would love to know for sure.

Yeah, what you mentioned about the bumpers not flowing with the moldings is something that has crossed my mind but I didn't know how those moldings were fastened to the car.

It is indeed stored indoors but they are going to take pictures for me of said areas plus some more clear photos of the car as a whole.

Now upon that discovering that its likely the original colour, I'd just like to confirm by getting the code. Next step will be taking the trip to see it...I haven't decided if I'll drive it home or ship it, but I will for sure be flying once to see it in person before committing.

My 86 parts car had the chrome bumpers--they looked original. Go figure--my 85 and my 87 both had all black bumpers. My guess is that they came across some excess inventory of bumpers and used them. Fiat certainly did that with 78/79/80 spiders.

Damn thats going to be a lot of work to fill those holes if I decide to go that way.

First step is seeing it, but man do I NOT want to go to Quebec in this weather. It's -30 celsius here in Kitchener, I can only imagine that it's colder there...

The car in the picture is

Bob Martin's car from Kentucky.

He never posts but he is a lurker.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Unless they found these pictures online as a reference, then it definetely is not...the car is located in Quebec, ON.

Nope

cannot really tell from your pics, but yes, there was a light metallic blue available on the 87/88 models...

FFO08037.jpg

That fellow in the black tee shirt and baseball cap is Bob Martin and the fellow with the gray shirt and sun glassess his his uncle Roy. The picture was taken at FFO 2008 on the show field. I was there with Bob with my red 79 X.

Bob is still from Kentucky and I talked to him last night. Bob never posts but is always in the shadows. Must have something to do with his military training. ( retired Army )

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

LOL...i'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the car i'm looking at not the one in the picture posted after.

Either way, his is indeed a nice car!

Euro bumpers with late model side trim

I think the side trim on the doors and front wing look okay with Euro bumpers, and the added protection is nice. When I retro fitted Euro bumpers to my car, I decided to keep the door trims...

IMG_0358.jpg

I do like the 87 light blue colour!

Back