It cracked at ten and a quarter

lezesig1

expatriot
FYI- If others may have a need..............

Witnessed proper cap operation and completed the snoop-leak check.

Our 850 radiators CAN be re-cored and issues addressed on the caps if required.

Tip: VERY talented radiator man(still practicing) in Tacoma Washington.

'72 850spi
lezesig
cracking.jpg

Very nice. It looks new again.

Something I need to cast around for as some years ago my original radiator lost its seal, as in began leaking from a number of areas. I was able to remove much of the steel from a Spider radiator I had bought (erroneously) to attach the Coupe/Sedan mounting assembly. It would be nice to get it rebuilt. Another thing to do this spring.

Hello Karl,

Know what you mean about refashioning other model sheet metals. A lotta work. Just did it on a headlight bucket, transforming a 124 bucket into an 850 bucket. It can be done. Perhaps you will find the same with the spider-coupe conversion.

With the radiators...it sure would be nice to see an 850 reproduced in aluminum like we see with so many of the other models.
Not the case, that I am aware of. The radiator shown above is brass modern.

Cooling System Cracking Pressures

To continue

1 Bar equals 14.504 psi
Decimels rounded in the following (smile).

- There was some technical discussion several years ago
that this radiator should have an .8 BAR rated cap.

or 14.504 * .8 = 11.6psi

VENDOR1-4 offers a .7BAR cap or 10.2psi

VENDOR 5 offers a .6BAR cap or 8.7psi

(01)The FIAT 850 Shop Manual states
a cap should crack at 5.7psi

Which number is correct ?
Anybody have any insight into this one; it would sure be appreciated.

Perhaps supply-procurement issues, non production of a rated .4BAR OEM cap,
any cap within the range is acceptable, etc.

out for now,
'72spi
lezesig

(01) FIAT Shop Manual Print no. DAT 2471, COOLING, Directions for Service., Page 77

Last edited:
Interesting way of stating the cap released pressure :)

I don’t know the answer to this.

MWB offers a 7lb cap which I believe I have an example of in my Sport Coupe which hasn’t blown out any of my components and my car doesn’t overheat. So far.

The radiator does look like new. So I just need to send my old one off to Tacoma :)

-Feel free to PM me for the particulars of the Tacoma Shop if you have the need during your springtime roundup!
Hope that craftsman stays employed there.

- Your 7lb MWB pressure cap. Does it have any stamped ratings on it that you'd care to share ?
Not getting any response to my earlier inquiry regarding the 850 circuit system pressure.
The shop manual has a very much different published value than what is being offered for the
application. Head scratcher (smile)

Back