It followed me home, can I keep it???

JKIDD

Auto Addict
Found an 86 X thats been sitting for 3 to 4 years. Has been hit lightly in the rear, but hard enough to buckle the quarter. Was told it ran 3 years ago. The last inspection ran out in 2019 so it may have been longer. He said the alternator was no good & that's why it was parked. Tried to jump it but there's was a rapid clicking from the dash & just a click from the starter. Was parked with the e-brake on so the rear wheels were locked. Trunk cable & backup cable are both broken. Against my better judgement, I bought it. 🙄 Managed to get the rear wheels free by tapping the shoes with a punch & hammer.
20231124_125005.jpg

Hit the self serv car wash on the way home to blast off the crud. Once I unloaded it I wanted to see if the motor was free, the clutch wasn't stuck to the flywheel, & if I could get the starter to crank the engine. Put it in 5th gear & rolled it & the motor turned fine. Got my pry bar (the 1 I was using before I replaced my starter earlier this year) & whacked the starter a few times. Still just clicked. Whacked it again & kept cycling the key (click, click, click) & suddenly the starter moved but barely. I was using a small jumper pack, so I decided to hook my truck up with jumpers. Turned the key, the starter took off, & it actually started in a single crank of the engine. It was just like it was just running yesterday!
IMG_20231124_151733_01.jpg

Note the mouse nest debris from the muffler... Blew a chunk 20 feet when I revved it up! Motor sounds great & shows 110k on the clock. Moved under its own power into the driveway.

20231124_153555.jpg

Now I just need to figure out what I'm doing with it.... Minor details...

I've revived enough cars to understand Derek's descriptions of the interior! This one looks like a good project. If not for you, then the next guy in line. At least it's not rotting under a pine tree any more. :)

These are better pictures - that quarter is definitely fixable.

Back