It is RUNNING!!!!

slaponte

The Iron Monkey
I am so freaking HI right now! Took the little X out for a spin, finally. Starts like a charm now. Idles beautiful (no more dying on deceleration). It is so quiet (stock exhaust), when I idle on cruise to a stop sign it seems like it isn't even running, but it is. The replaced dash works fine. Lights, everything. Took it up to 65 and pushing 5500 rpm.

And now, the to-do's...

1) Brakes are hard and don't seem right. I need to flush and bleed.

2) I hear a loud clunk on the front when I take a pothole, like something is bottoming out. I haven't done anything to the suspension since I got it, so I guess I am headed that way soon.

3) at about 45 cruise heading back home I started hearing a wo-wo-wo sound from the driver/rear. I have little experience with the X but seemed to me like a rear hub or axle related. I plan to record it on a video so you guys can hear it and direct me.

4) It is still hard to shift it. The lollipop and all has been tightened, so it migh just need some minor link adjustment.

And I need to put the speakers in it so I can hear something, althought the engine sounds pretty good right now. :excited::excited::excited:

List to do!!!!

1)change the brake lines too,cheap and you`ll feel the difference
2)check strut bushing or strut bump stop
3)woo,woo sound? check tires first,maybe one is bad,before tearing the hub
4)Play with the lolipop!!!

Glad to hear its alive!!!:excited:

Loud clunk

Hi Sergio,

Great to hear your progress.

Did you put the anti-rattle springs in place when you installed the brake pads? If you didn't, you'll swear it sounds like the front end is about to fall apart over little bumps and potholes as the brake pads rattle around in the caliper housing.

Keep us posted!!!

-Matt

Actually, I haven't done the pads. :) I have parts around waiting for install. When the car stopped cranking/running, I figured the brakes could wait. Now that it runs, the brakes become "important" once again :).

What I noticed is that when you look inside the front compartment at the top of the struts, the metal edge is awful close to the car body. I will take a pic so you guys can see. There is almost no clearance, so any kind of movement (and I would expect this to move a tiny bit) should knock.

I'll go take pics and be right back. :) Don't you love the digital age?

Re the brakes I have a p0reasure flusher so I am going to do that (won't hurt) and see. Either way, I probably have to go through all four corners and make sure the calipers are free and replace the hoses.

Ok, pics of the front upper strut mounts. I was standing by the driver side so those are more straight on than the driver side. Again, since this is my first X, I am not sure if the clearance to the body is always so "minimal". They almost look like they are "up", like the metal ring should be lower (by mm) from the body edge.

Click on the pic for the larger view :

Looks like your upper strut mounts are worn out. The metal disc should be below the edge and centered. If it's not (and sometimes when it is) the metal disc hits the strut tower edge on a hard bump. This also cuts the retaining lip on the large rubber cap, and is why eventually they won't stay on.

Many suppliers carry the mounts, I got mine from Obert. Some of the studs on the new ones are shorter than original. This means the plastic caps for the studs don't fit, if that matters to you.

This little car can be a step forward, two steps back... :(

Ok, so upper strut mounts. Makes sense. And then...

- I went to pressure-bleed the brakes for the first time and the pressure showed me the number of cracks I have on the upper part of the brake liquid container thing. Ugh. So I need one of those.

- I got under the car to test the electric fans. Neither one of them moved when I applied ground and pos to the leads (directly to the fan).

I did get a set of speakers installed and the old AM/Fm cassette WORKED! So I do have tunes now.

So, shopping, again. :(

Back