It Works (sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]It Works (sort of)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 14 1999 at 8:15 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "-";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Stu Brennan"); // --> </SCRIPT>Stu Brennan <NOSCRIPT> Stu Brennan </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Carefully following all the advice I set up the timing and sure enough it starts and runs!!! Many thanks to all those who helped.
The problem now is that when its hot it wont continue to run unless I pump the gas and keep giving it shots of gas. I pulled the gas line and the fuel pump seems to be pumping ok. I still have the aircleaner off and I'm wondering if the engine heat is boiling out my gas in the carb.

I also noticed that the red light in the amp guage is on is this normal or does it mean no alt charge?

I took today off work so I'm gonna get this puppy running properly.

Thanks again for the help. Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->More questions and symptoms<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 14 1999, 11:21 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Am I having fun. I pulled the carb and everything inside seems ok. It runs but only with about 20 degrees of advance and it stalls below 1500 rpm. Double checked inside distributor and rotor on 4 plug at TDC. When checking timing I noticed that the timing mark on the camshaft is 180 out of the position it was in when at TDC when the light fires off the #1 plug. Is it possible to put the cam pulley on 180 out?
Engine is running roughly and seems to be missing. I know new plugs and points are ok since it ran fine before I decided to change the belt (sigh).

The carb cooling fan isn't running no power on the positive lead. Fuses seem ok but no power to sensor in carb. Cleaned ground for fan.

Fuel guage doesn't work.

Any suggestions very greatfully accepted. Thanks Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 17 1999, 6:48 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Stu,
connect your timing light to #1 wire. #4 was only for the static timing (I'd have to think about why that is). That should bring your mark to the right position.

What is your timing measured with the vacuum hose off and plugged at rpm<1000? See if you can get it to run between 10 and 0.
Your conclusion about the hose having to be connected is flawed because your dist, also has centrifugal advance.

Also look for the other crank mark (it's right on top, not on the side).

Ulix<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "a"; document.write("Stu Brennan"); // --> </SCRIPT>Stu Brennan <NOSCRIPT> Stu Brennan </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing Belt Tracking<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 18 1999, 10:11 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->How do you adjust the timing belt tracking. The old belt was partially off and the new belt is starting to migrate off the outside edge. I assume that you can adjust the tracking somehow but my manual doesn't have any reference to how.

Something is still not right with the timing since it wont idle below about 2000 rpm and with less than 20 degrees of advance.

I have it set up so that at TDC the camshaft mark is in line with the pointer the flywheel mark is in the V it also matches up to the timing mark (that opening is really hidden) and the rotor is firing the number 4 plug. I have no idea why it isn't running properly now and was running fine before. It seems to me that it might be a valve timing problem since the timing mark on the camshaft (with the timning light on the #1 plug) stops at about a 10 o'clock position. Is this normal or should it be pointing elsewhere? I have pulled the dist. and tried it on different notches but still have to turn it to get about 20 degrees of advance for it to run.

The carb. fan works when powered directly but not otherwise. I may not have heated the engine hot enough to trip the thermoswitch. I hope the rad fan is the same situation but I don't want to run it to long until I am sure the timing is right.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I seem to be fresh of out ideas as to things to try. Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("x19er"); // --> </SCRIPT>x19er <NOSCRIPT> x19er </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->belt tracking...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 19 1999, 10:20 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->There is no adjustment for belt tracking that I am aware of. It is usually a symptom of a worn or loose tensioner bearing. Check the that the bolt is tight, if it's tight and you haven't replaced the tensioner, consider replacing it ASAP.

As far as your timing problems, it sounds like you may be off one tooth on your cam timing.

Good luck!
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing Belt Tracking<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 20 1999, 1:16 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have replaced the tensioner bearing and I tightened the tension which stopped the mistracking. Good tip.
As far as the timing I think I must be off one tooth like you had suggested. Since I have to advance the timing to get it to run which way do I have to move the camshaft one tooth. ie in the direction of rotation or the opposite way. Thanks for the help.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("John Hurlock"); // --> </SCRIPT>John Hurlock <NOSCRIPT> John Hurlock </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 19 1999, 10:31 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->1. The tracking of the belt is not adjustable! Some movement is normal, but going over the edge of the gears is not. Most likely problem is that the tension bearing is bad or missadjusted, this can get cocked and pull the belt to the edge of the gears. The gears cannot be crooked because it would only cause a wobble not a creeping. Make sure the tentioner has been put back right with all and is in good order. As you know you cannot retension a new belt after it has been used, so put a new belt on. Check that the oil pump gear/pully is level. As I said it is highly unlikely that either the crank or cam is out of alignment.

2. Timing - all X/19's should be at 5 deg before top dead center. Use the pointer on the crank pully (the three pointers from left to right are 10deg, 5deg and TDC. Static setting are with #1 not #4 at the front of the engine. Firing order is 1,3,4,2. If you used #4 wire to #1 cylinder, you would be out of phase by 180deg, no wonder it would not run well even with the extreem advance. Set timing with cam at pointer, 5deg at crank and #1 spark plug wire on #1, the make sure the other wires are in order rotating clockwise, 1-3-4-2. Other fast idle problems can be associated with air leaks associated with the polution control (you didn't say what year car, FI or carb?)or vacuum advance (springs in the distributor sometimes brake and cause a fast idle). I hope this helps, e-mail if you have any other questions - John Hurlock
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back