Jack replacement

Mazinger

Daily Driver
Has anyone come accross a jack like the X1/9's form another car? I was at the junkyard and on the way out in a pile of jacks I saw one almost identical to ours except the part that goes into the car had more of a bow-tie shape, still about the same size. I didn't buy it because it had been abused and the car must have rolled when it was off the ground as the thing was twisted. The Titanic (the 87 I bought), did not have one. Maybe another European like a BMW or Mercedes. I'll go again tomorrow and take a better look. Thanks guys.

BMW?

Our vendors sell used jacks for not much money.

BMW has used very similar jacks, like this one:
e36jack.JPG

that the post says came from an E36 (90's 3-series). I don't know if it will work on the X1/9.

Alfa Romeo and Lada....

Alfa Romeo and Lada use an almost identical jack that works on the X1/9 but they may be just as hard to come by.

'PeteX1/9

like that!

The one there was exactly like that. This yard gets BMWs all the time so it should'nt be too hard to find another in good shape. I'll check the vendors too. JY wanted $14 for it. Not going to find a Lada here, Only Alfas I've seen is JYs were Spiders. Thanks

A few Fiat models...

....used this style jack. They were all different enough from each other not to appear to work on the X.

As someone who is familiar with BMWs, I would not recommend the jacks at all. We tend to ditch them in favor of more robust tools. I doubt it'd work on an X anyway, but even if it did I expect the X jack would be just as good.

You might look for a scissor jack from Toyotas of yore if you just want a wrecking yard jack. More stable than the original style jacks, although not as convenient.

///Mike

Back