Jacking Rear End

I use a floor jack to get the car up and use the engine hoist for the drive train. I slide the drivetrain on a floor dolly in through the RR wheel well and pull it up with the hoist. Reverse procedure to remove.

I suppose you could use that bracket if it is strong enough but not really necessary as there are good jack points under the rear of the car.

Those brackets are very, very stout and bolt into the rear frame structure. There is nothing preventing you from using them if the holes for the brackets have not been welded closed for a bumper delete. I use a chain between the two and lift it with the hoist all the time. If you don't have a need for the brackets other than for lifting, you can easily fab up something that will work using 1" x 3/8" flat steel stock by drilling a couple of mounting holes, cut the length to suit, and drill the chain mounting hole. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway; both sides need brackets, it needs to be lifted in the center of the car, and support the car with appropriate stands once you lift it.

IMG_4112.jpg

Those brackets are very, very stout and bolt into the rear frame structure. There is nothing preventing you from using them if the holes for the brackets have not been welded closed for a bumper delete. I use a chain between the two and lift it with the hoist all the time. If you don't have a need for the brackets other than for lifting, you can easily fab up something that will work using 1" x 3/8" flat steel stock by drilling a couple of mounting holes, cut the length to suit, and drill the chain mounting hole. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway; both sides need brackets, it needs to be lifted in the center of the car, and support the car with appropriate stands once you lift it.

View attachment 78286
Awesome thank you guys,

Actually just got some metal stock as you mentioned. Didn't want to grab the bumper mounts yet as I'm not sure what route I want to go with the bumper.

Last edited:
when I did the B16 swap I actually welded loops to make it easy as it was going in and out so often. used an engine hoist like Bjorn did as well.

Odie

My 74 currently has no bumper mounts. Can I use the following to attach an engine hoist and lift the rear end of the car for my engine swap?

I use the dog bone mount to lift the rear of my cars to get them high enough to roll the engine/trans out. There's not much weight back there once the engine/trans are removed.

Back