Junkyard bonanza!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Junkyard bonanza!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 1 1999 at 9:37 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I rolled over at the crack of dawn today with a strange feeling in my bones. I was supposed to go today to see 2 X1/9s that a guy wants to sell. $300 for the pair, but I think he'd take less if cash was waved around...

Anyhow, I went to see these cars first thing this morning. A blue '77 with a/c, and an orange '81 with CD-91s. Both clearly parts cars, but probably worth the money if only I had that kind of storage space UGH.

So I told him not to crush, discard or otherwise get rid of them until I could think about it for a while. I don't think I can swing that deal now because of what happened next!!

I got that feeling again, like I reeallly needed to be finding something. I had no idea what though. So I just started driving around.

I ended up at a wrecking yard near Olympia, because I saw 2 Fiat Spiders sitting just inside their gate, and wanted to get a closer peek. The Spiders were a green '75 and a purple '78. They were overpriced, but the whole event of finding myself in a wrecking yard on a fluke inspired me! I decided to just go junkyard-hopping and see what I might stumble upon...

Well, I went to about 5 junkyards today and found some really REALLY amazing stuff! I spent nearly every penny I had, but came home with TREASURE!!!

Here's the sum total of what I bought today:

>A set of 4 Iron Cross 13" wheels in decent shape

>16 lugs, 4 spacers and about a dozen guidepins

>An X horn button with FIAT wreath embossed

>A Fiat horn button with a cool FIAT symbol face

>Three dash switches from a Strada

>A 1500 angular gearshift knob in nice shape

>Pair of X inside doorlock buttons

>2 good 1300 X rear deck vent plastics

>An early 1500 X gauge cluster w/ forward tach

>An early style dashboard for 1300 X1/9

This is all good. But wait - get this:
The early style dash I found... it has NO CUTOUT for the factory radio! This dash is beautiful!! It is uncommon to find a good 1300 dash with no cracks, but to find one that has no radio cutout is damn near impossible!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! I went to the cashier and asked, "how much for the X1/9 dash?" ...

(Here's the clincher) He says, "thirty-five bucks"... WHAT?! $35! Man alive, he must have thought I was turned off by it, I know he could see me turn pale as the blood drained from my face! "I'll be back with cash!"

So here I am at the end of the day with all this stuff *and* the most difficult of X dashes to ever find, and I got *all* that stuff for $125!

It took me a long time to get the dash out of this rotten old X without damaging the thing. God knows it's been bolted in there for close to a quarter-century, and who knows how long that X has been in the junkyard. Only 4 bolts held it in but DANG it was hard to remove! Mainly because the screws holding the cluster and passenger panels in were very very hard to get out, which you must do to get at the dash bolts.

But you can just imagine how determined I was!!
I was NOT leaving without that!!! Unbelievable...

So I am on cloud 9 and am now on a break from washing caked layers of brake dust from the Iron Crosses. 2 down, 2 to go...

By the way, if anyone's interested, I found a whole bunch of old Fiats today. X1/9s, Spiders galore, Bravas, 124 Sports, a Sport L, a few 128s, and about 1/2 a dozen Yugos!

I found a set of X interior door panels with no speaker holes too, but ran out of $$. Also, the interior of that Brava was suprisingly well preserved. Lotsa stuff out there folks - HIT THOSE JUNKYARDS! It pays!! :) -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Parts<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 2 1999, 9:26 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac,

congrats on the dash, does it have cracks at the top from the defrost cutout back?
Are you going to put the wheels on your 80?

What year are thos door panels and are they in *really* good shape?

You make me want to go junkyard shopping, but there isn't anything around here I think...

Ulix<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->junkyard hopping<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 2 1999, 4:29 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Ulix,

The dash is cosmetically perfect. No cracks anywhere on the visible side, although the one downside is that the dash was mounted to an X that was left for a long time in the wrecking yard with the top off, so moisture has attacked the metal substructure of the dash...

When I finally got it out of the car I flipped it over and could see that the moisture damage to the metal framework was more than surface rust. Unfortunately this sort of thing is all too common in cars that are simply left, by the wreckers, in the open to die.

The metal structure of the dash is rusted to the point that I am certain it would not have survived much longer in the junkyard. Just one or two more seasons in that car and it would probably be too late to save this dash.

Luckily I came along and found it just in time!!

It is overall not so bad that the dash is unusable. I am sure I will be able to clean it up and use it in a car, and once installed it will look pretty much as it did when new. I will definitely be refurbishing the inside of the dash though!

It should not be too hard. There is plenty enough left of the metal structure that I should be able to simply de-rust it as best I can, seal it, and maybe reinforce one particular mounting point that appears to have taken the brunt of the rust attack. Once done though it should look great, and mount just fine into the car.

It is *very* slightly deformed from having sat in that car for so long. Now that it is out, I will re-form it after rust treatment. This is done by laying the dash upside-down and propping it there so that its own weight causes it to flatten out and regain its original form over time. I am doing this with my '75 dash right now.

Those door panels I found are very good. One hit with armor-all and they would probably look good as new. They are, however, from a '79 (so the embossed pattern is different from yours) and they are that funky dark orange vinyl that FIAT seems to have loved so much. They could easily be made black with some high quality vinyl paint or similar... or if someone with an orange-interiored '79 is reading this, they would be just perfect for that!

I got the Iron Cross wheels home and did my best to clean them up. Sadly though, they had sat in the junkyard for so long that I just couldn't get all the brake dust spots off. So I have made the difficult decision to strip and paint them. I really was hoping they would have cleaned up enough to be presentable in original condition, but in this case I think they would look better painted and clearcoated silver than they did even after I did my best to clean them.

So they are here on my shop floor drying between coats. I will use 2 whole cans of special-application silver wheel spray, then an equal amount of wheel clearcoat.

So far, I have to admit they look better than I thought they would! That is good :) Peace, -Mac.

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->subject change - wheels<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 2 1999, 7:04 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Here I go again!

The wheel painting has been going perfectly. The wheels were dried in several coats of silver, and looked fantastic. I was very methodical about going in stages, and using multiple thin coats...

Then came time to clearcoat, and I made what is probably one of the most basic mistakes for wheel painting: I could not see the clearcoat, and thus could not tell how much or how little had been applied to specific areas. Arrughhh!~

So I ended up botching the perfect silver job with too much clearcoat! UGH.

The main reason I was doing this was because I am too broke to have the wheels professionally refinished (which would obviously be the best thing ultimately) and now that there is excess clear in spots, I am not really liking the look (!) so hmmmnn, now what?

Will I just say "screw it" and use them as-is regardless of how they turn out? Or should I just say "screw it" and take them to a pro shop?

What sayeth the wise & wonderful forum? -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Wheels<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 3 1999, 12:55 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac,
see my post in the FS section.
You could try acetone to get some of the clear off and then respray some clear.

Don't take them somewhere, it's a waste of money I think.
You can do this!
BTW, how much did the clear change the look? I have never used it.

Ulix<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The clear sucked<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 4 1999, 8:25 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->It ruined the perfect look of the silver, but I was really wanting to use it so I could seal out brake dust that could destroy the paintjob over time. The clear would make wheel cleaning very easy if I had done it sparingly, but I could not tell how much I was putting on - very hard to see it go down, and I overdid it by a mile! The wheels are gonna have to wait now until later this winter when I have more time and less demands on it. Peace, -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ken[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Paint<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 1 1999, 4:23 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac

What was the name of the paint? Who makes it? I'm getting ready to paint wheel myself also.

Ken<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Mike Mittelstead"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mike Mittelstead <NOSCRIPT> Mike Mittelstead </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I love those kind of stories<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 2 1999, 11:11 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->But unfortunately, those days are long gone in the
Portland area. The yards around here don't keep
any Fiats anymore. No call for Fiat stuff they say. It was for that reason that I started snagging whole cars...makin' my own junkyard.

Regarding your wheel painting, I'd say don't worry
about minor flaws. I'd bet they'll look fine once
they're on the car and you're not looking at them
so closely.

ThanX for the memories. MM<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm too damn picky I guess<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 4 1999, 8:28 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...but I still think they look horrible. I will fix 'em, but not soon. Too much else going on for me to keep playing with these right now. I'll have to just get back to them later in the cold season when life has slowed down a bit. Peace, -Mac.

PS> I envy you your junkyard!! :)

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "3";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "3";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Dominic"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dominic <NOSCRIPT> Dominic </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What yard was it?!?!?!?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 4 1999, 11:24 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Oh man, where in the hell have i been, there wasn't a singel damn yard that had a damn thing six months ago. Where did you go?!?!?!!?!?

Dominic <---- irate with envy<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thurston County Junkyards - "come 'n get it!"<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 5 1999, 11:19 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Dominic!

Yeah, I was pretty suprised myself! I really had no idea there was so many Fiats, Lancias, Yugos etc floating around in the junkyards down here.

For all who are interested, here is a rough account of what I found:

Firstly, Thurston County has a relatively large number of wrecking yards for the size of the area. There are many larger yards - you know, the annoying places that look like an auto-parts store, and you can't buy something without them looking it up in a book UGH! There also are several smaller "Mom & Pop" type places, which will almost ALWAYS be the better bet for Fiat stuff...

Here are a few of the highlights - by the way, anything here strike your fancy, GO GET IT! I urge you to do so before time or the crusher take their toll! So here's a rough list of what I located:

**Lacey, Wa.:

Mostly barren of Fiats. Most notable is "Nisqually Auto Wrecking" at 9319 Martin Way. These are the guys who are trying to sell 2 X1/9s, $300 obo for the pair (!) There is a blue '77 NON-CATALYST X1/9 there with factory a/c! Some body damage, some rust, aftermarket slotmags, but lots of goodies still there. The other car is an '81 X with no engine or tranny. The interior is half gone, but the dash is there and good, most all glass is good, tons of little bits, and a good set of CD-91 wheels. $300 obo takes BOTH. Contact Brad for details: (360) 456-6222

**Olympia, Wa.:

"East Olympia Auto Wrecking", also known I think as "Gerry's Foreign Auto Salvage". This place has a neat stash of Fiats. Several Spiders, one blue 1500cc X1/9 with a nice dash and almost nothing missing. A light blue Brava 4 door with a near immaculate interior and tons of good stuff, a few other various Fiats including a rather old lime-green 128 4-door that appears to be almost complete. This would make a cool resto project! Go to these guys for a poke around the yard, no telling what you might find.

**Tumwater, Wa.:

"Pick-A-Part" on Old Hiway 99 by the Olympia Airport. Yeah, they're the "look in the book" guys. Yeah, they almost never have any I-cars. But right now they have 2 Spiders. A green '75 that looks like it has had some kind of a fire, and a purple '78 that appears to have some minor body damage. They hope to sell 'em both as a package deal (they say one has the parts to fix the other) but are way overpriced. Keep hounding them and they will soon be convinced to just part them both out. Lotsa cool stuff on 'em, one has a rather unique set of aftermarket wheels.

"John's Auto Wrecking" aka "Airport Auto Wrecking" is located on 93rd Avenue just off of I-5 south of Tumwater (the southbound exit after Airdustrial Parkway) - THIS IS THE BEST SHOW IN TOWN for Fiat parts!! These guys have been open since the dawn of time. Their yard is gigantic. They are the "ten buck" type (meaning you show them some unidentifiable gizmo, say "how much" and they go "ten bucks")... These guys have more Fiats than anyone else in the area that I have found. Mostly Fiats from the early and mid '70s. 124s stacked 3 high! Spiders, Coupes, Sports, Sedans, 128s scattered around (1 128 4-door is sitting on its side on top of some VW) The place looks like a bomb went off. Fiats abound! They have 3 or 4 Yugos, 2 Stradas, a bunch of '70s Fiats that I could not identify as a vine patch is taking over this corner of the yard. Sadly though they only have 2 X1/9s. A silver '78 that is half there, and a yellow '79 that is so rusty I was afraid to sneeze near it. But many parts to be had nonetheless! Enough Fiat content to keep any I-car fan browsing for hours.

So, that's the list of most-notables. There are actually a couple more good places around the Thurston County area, ahhh, but I have to save some suprises for later! ;)

GO GET THOSE PARTS! Peace, -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back