K20 swap with air conditioning

hotx19

Daily Driver
hi guys
Just wondering if any one has photos or knows what brackets to use to fit air conditioning to the k20 in the x19
I know Roger has done it but has anyone else done it as well
Any help would be great
John

No one else has done it as well as Roger. :)

Sorry I am not aware of other installs where it was integrated. If you do find one, do share.

I assume you are talking about the bracket that holds the compressor? Mine (done by MWB) sits above the engine on the right hand side of the car. The compressor is not from the Honda, as I recall it is a Nissan Sentra unit. Some pics I took a few years ago when someone else inquired:

IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0481.JPG IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0484.JPG

Hard to see the bracket underneath, but I bet I could get a picture of it from the guy who fabricated it (Jonathan Pack, aka "Longitudinal" here, but he doesn't come here very often). I will check into that.

Pete

I assume you are talking about the bracket that holds the compressor? Mine (done by MWB) sits above the engine on the right hand side of the car. The compressor is not from the Honda, as I recall it is a Nissan Sentra unit. Some pics I took a few years ago when someone else inquired:

View attachment 15607 View attachment 15608 View attachment 15609 View attachment 15610 View attachment 15611 View attachment 15612 View attachment 15613 View attachment 15614

Hard to see the bracket underneath, but I bet I could get a picture of it from the guy who fabricated it (Jonathan Pack, aka "Longitudinal" here, but he doesn't come here very often). I will check into that.

Pete

Gee Pete, the engine bay was a lot cleaner when I took this pic in 2005 at the Nashville FFO. :D

Attachments

• R1-07398-007A.jpg
    R1-07398-007A.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 122
Ah, and now you know the difference between a show queen and a driver! :):):)

Edit: 2005???? 2013 would be my guess.

I mistyped the "2005", but the directory I put the pictures in is named "FFO 2011 Nashville". I looked back thru the "Events" forum and it was Nashville for 2011. Not sure how I got to 2005, but 2011 instead of 2013 means you have had 2 more years of fun with that X than you remember. :)

I’m wondering whether MWB tried using the stock compressor from a late Bertone? They (AC compressors) seem to be pretty much all the same dimensions (not including those massive units used on many domestic V6/V8’s) mostly a question of line fitting location, mount ear style and clutch style, all of which can be replaced or modified on Sanden units.

Do you know, Braydon?

Not sure if I've brought this up before, so here goes...
Since the Honda K series alternator has SO much extra amperage, why not explore using a separate electric A/C compressor, perhaps mounted in the frunk, making all of the lines and connections considerably shorter? Would not infringe on engine compartment space, and could be mounted low enough to even allow targa top stowage when desired. Additionally, this could also be a solution for other alternative engine swaps, or even stock, as long as an alternator with sufficient amperage was installed.

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.co...r-how-can-you-decide-if-one-is-right-for-you/

Not sure if I've brought this up before, so here goes...
Since the Honda K series alternator has SO much extra amperage, why not explore using a separate electric A/C compressor, perhaps mounted in the frunk, making all of the lines and connections considerably shorter? Would not infringe on engine compartment space, and could be mounted low enough to even allow targa top stowage when desired. Additionally, this could also be a solution for other alternative engine swaps, or even stock, as long as an alternator with sufficient amperage was installed.

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.co...r-how-can-you-decide-if-one-is-right-for-you/

MWB considered doing this with my car, i'm not really sure why they backed away from that plan. Cost and complexity, I would imagine.

Pete

That electric compressor would be a great option if you were going to do a supercharger addition on your K20 as that takes up the space for the belt driven compressor. BTW, the Vintage Air units that they mention are all too wide to work in an underdash location in the X. They would need to go in the frunk so there goes the storage. Plus the need to cut large holes in the frunk firewall to run the ducts to the dash vents.

That electric compressor would be a great option if you were going to do a supercharger addition on your K20 as that takes up the space for the belt driven compressor. BTW, the Vintage Air units that they mention are all too wide to work in an underdash location in the X. They would need to go in the frunk so there goes the storage. Plus the need to cut large holes in the frunk firewall to run the ducts to the dash vents.

I'm assuming you researched these, Rodger? I was considering the Gen II Mini - I think one of the Dallara builds in OZ is using it

You might look at the compressors used on the 2000-2005 Toyota Celica. They are short and small diameter.

CF642892-C27D-4A51-B6E6-BF5E90B47FB1.jpeg
6C65F2E5-8EE0-4C7F-8E2A-93150F22944F.jpeg
DA3B709A-F03C-4908-B767-BB50AC090945.jpeg

An electric system one could think about using. You will need a higher output alternator but the K24 is likely driving a 120amp unit already.

Not cheap but space improvements are not cheap.

One could imagine it going right behind the radiator or even where the washer tank once lived. Or one might be able to squeeze it into the right headlight sponson where the motor once lived.

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/SHM-electric-air-conditioning-compressor-3753

E75A40E6-F982-4787-B313-FC44A639BD54.jpeg

I'm assuming you researched these, Rodger? I was considering the Gen II Mini - I think one of the Dallara builds in OZ is using it
Yes, I looked at all of the aftermarket systems out there that I could find when I was initially putting my AC system together. The Gen II Mini is 19" wide. It would take up half the passenger foot well when positioned to stay out of the driver's way. The Hurricane that I used is only 11.5" wide, and it is still a couple of inches wider than I would have liked. The Hurricane was the only one that was even close to fitting under the dash.

You might look at the compressors used on the 2000-2005 Toyota Celica. They are short and small diameter.
Yes, they are smaller, but there is very little room to fit it in under the alternator. You can use a smaller alternator from a Civic, I believe, but you still have to come up with a solid way to mount it. The MWB subframe bolts into two of the mounting holes for the stock AC compressor. If you can figure out how to mount it, it may protrude too far past the intake to even get the engine in the car. It is a tight squeeze as it is and it may hang up on the lower firewall cross member. Also, the drive pulley for it is going to be very close to the passenger side wall of the access box, so that needs to be taken into account as well. Definitely something to work out before you start to fit the engine.
K20 engine install 05.JPG

Back