Key Ignition column help

Ben Louis

True Classic
Hi Xweb glad to be here, wondering if you guys can give me some much needed help?

I purchased a Neiman Ignition switch to replace the stock unit and the wire coloring from the switch is different than stock and doesn't seem to line up nicely with colored wires coming from car.
Here's what I know:

Keyed IgnSwitch: (IGN)
RED- Power Starter
BRWN- Power Bat
Main BLK- ?
Secondary BLK- ?
BLU- ?

From Car:
BRWN- to BRWN IGN
RED - to RED IGN
LTBLU/BLK- Instrument panel
RED/BLK- Power to lots of stuff
SBRWN & SBLK - Headlight switch (SBRWN=Switched Black etc)

Really I'm left with
What goes to the BLU IGN wire?
What goes to the Main/ Secondary BLK IGN? ( There is a main and secondary which is looped of the main to it's own connection. In the electrical diagrams it shows LTBLU/BLK and RED/BLK at the same terminal and SBRWN and SBLK at the same terminal.

Does anyone have a color pic of the connection area on a stock setup? That would help me answer a lot you know a picture is worth...

Thanks!

Hmmm...First, what is a "Neiman ignition switch"? Maybe I didn't get the memo..
Second, have you looked at page 11 of the electrical diagnostic manual? Or is that not what you need?

Attachments

• ign_wires.jpg
    ign_wires.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 114
And welcome to the forum. Great to see another X owner!!

Sometimes Pictures can help a LOT with trying to explain what is happening and what the issue is.

Welcome to the forum and maybe to X1/9 ownership?
I tried to find some info regarding your Neiman Ignition switch... I got zero info back for this brand of Fiat column switch. I did see some Ferrari and Alfa and BMW stuff but nothing Fiat.
There are stock parts and some aftermarket (almost direct fit) parts available as well. Not sure what brought you to fitting this switch.
I am assuming you are working with an incomplete car that needs parts sourced for various missing parts? That is the conclusion I draw from your request for photos of intact wiring. If that is the case be mindful of the fact that factory or suitable aftermarket parts will be you shortest distance to operation and some parts that seem to be a good bet might send down the rabbit hole...
The X is a pretty simple car but it is possible to get things that will not work. I don't really have enough information to make that call with this part but we all want you to get your car up and running.
Also, some background is helpful...The more info, including photos, you can provide the better chance we have of helping you make that happen. Many times one of us (me in this case) will ask for more info. When you offer additional info that draws a person with more knowledge of your specific problem.
Good luck!
Regards

Thanks for the responses!
I have both the factory Wiring diagram and the Electrical Diagnostic and neither shows this wiring diagram (thanks LarryC) with the ignition switch exploded that does get me a bit closer. The problem is that the previous owner decided to run everything off a radio shack on/off switch. It was all tied together and worked sometimes but I dismantled it immediately for fear of what tying all power and start leads into one cheap switch would do to my electrics. My X was an auto cross car and is basically stripped to bare minimum I'm trying to do a drive'rs restoration and make it road worthy again. It does have redeeming qualities like nice go fast bits but getting all the little stuff to work together is going to be a hair pulling experience I'm sure. But, I'm sure it will be worth it once I get this baby road going again. The Neiman switch came from a reputable Fiat and x1/9 supplier and I have confirmed that at least it's wiring leads are the same colors and config. as the Marelli unit replacement. Pictures coming soon had issues w/ my host trying another one.

It's a 1985 Bertone 1.5 FI

Yes a (camera) picture of the stock setup at the connection between switch and incoming from car with everything in the right place would be very helpful.

Wow that came out big...anyways here is the terminal Im working with. Looking at the above diagram it looks like the Red/blk coming from the car should be tied into the Red from starter circuit? In the electrical diagrams I have it shows the Ltblu/blk and Red/blk tied into the same terminal but in the provided one it looks like they are on separate circuits or connections.

Also I realize now I was looking at the white Electrical diagram supplement and not the Yellow Diagnostic Manual

Funny I have a yellow '85. Actually that helps a lot. I can see the wire color leading from the switch. The LtBlu/Blk tells me what I need to know! Along with the previous diagram this helps me to start eliminating possibilities. But, any chance anyone can get a pic of the opposite plug? The ones incoming from the car into the Ign? Thanks for the help guys, right to the point with minimal tangents. This weekend will see if these fixes will get the car to fire properly.

Also: If I created a start to finish progress thread would any one be interested or would it just add to many already posted on XWeb and get buried?

po2ZYNp3j

Here's my 85 Bertone as it sits now. Although it looks pretty good from 6ft there's loootttsss of little stuff that needs doing to get it drive-able. I've done enough mechanicals on older unloved vehicles to know that there's prob gonna be a few majors down the road too. All part of the fun

I got a hold of some pictures. Thanks to Matt from Midwest Bayless! Hopefully someone down the line can use these.

Back