KONI Service Charges, FYI

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share a thread with you all regarding KONI service
charges.

I just forwarded two sets (8 total) of X19 KONI replacement struts for a customer, and just got the estimate back from KONI. I about fell off my chair.

To Matthew Brannon
Estimate for struts to be rebuilt is 1900.00 for both sets. Let me know how to proceed, Paul

Paul McLaughlin
Koni Shock Absorbers
ITT Corporation
Racing Technical Sales Rep.
1961A International Way
Hebron, Ky. 41048
800-922-2616 option 6

Apparently their prices have gone way up and no one sent me a memo! lol.

I wanted to share this with folks so you know what you're getting into with KONIs. Interestingly, I prefer a good set of used KONIs that come off of a running, driving car with miles on them over legendary "NEW, sitting in a backroom for 20 years" KONIs. One of these sets was a brand new set that we installed and found after 10 miles that rebound damping had gone to infinite on 3 of the four, this is the third time I've received NOS KONIs that were already failed or did so within 10 miles of use. These things do not like to sit on shelves for extended periods of time, kind of like our cars themselves.

-M

There better be a good deal...

... of PRIZE MONEY for winning races with these shocks...

I think converting to coil overs would be more economical, practical and even more easily ADJUSTABLE...

Thanks for the warning, Matt!

HA!

BTW... I'm really HAPPY with my KYBs and cut-down springs for the street!

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share a thread with you all regarding KONI service
charges.

I just forwarded two sets (8 total) of X19 KONI replacement struts for a customer, and just got the estimate back from KONI. I about fell off my chair.

Apparently their prices have gone way up and no one sent me a memo! lol.

I wanted to share this with folks so you know what you're getting into with KONIs. Interestingly, I prefer a good set of used KONIs that come off of a running, driving car with miles on them over legendary "NEW, sitting in a backroom for 20 years" KONIs. One of these sets was a brand new set that we installed and found after 10 miles that rebound damping had gone to infinite on 3 of the four, this is the third time I've received NOS KONIs that were already failed or did so within 10 miles of use. These things do not like to sit on shelves for extended periods of time, kind of like our cars themselves.

-M

So basically about $250 per shock? I'd still prefer rebuilding them at that price vs buying something new. Just my .02. Any thoughts on using Tru-choice as an alternative? They are Koni authorized...

Matt, I know your using Koni inserts

Matt, I know your using Koni double adjustables inserts in your coilovers on your race car....

Best price I could find on the internet was a little over $1k for 4 inserts, are there any other brands that would do the job or do you know where we might get a better price on double adjustable inserts.

Looking at going to coilovers with next years tax return (if I get one, LOL) I've already spent this years return on my X for FFO! LOL Can't wait!

Ouch...

Ok sure, it is cheaper than new, but come on, I figured it would be 25 to 50% of new, not 90% of new.

Sigh....

Eric

Tru-choice rebuild cost...

...receipt from Tru-choice to rebuild 4 Konis
a few years ago was approx $1200.
Included shortening the strut shafts.

It is what it is.
What the market will bear.
Comparable to other race options.
More than K-Mart options.

Ya..... it ticks me off.... I bought a set of the AD adj shocks from Jim back in like 2004 or 2005. This last winter I noticed a puddle under the pass front whel area...... shock oil. Dang it!

Haven't driven the stupid thing for three years. And just as I'm getting eveything back together and go to try to race it I need to rebuild my shocks tht probably have less than 200 miles total on them. just the rebuild parts for mine are $100 a strut. And then I have to find probably a motorcycle shop that can charge the nitrogen.

$750 for 4 at Performance Shock

In Sonoma, they are the single adjustable Koni "reds":

DSCN0553.jpg

Matt, how did you find they went infinite?

What did the car do and how did you narrow it down to the rebound of the inserts? My experience with Konis has been great, they have always been bomb proof. This is interesting information. I have friends that have had them re-valved for performance but not for general service. Always something new to discuss.

Infinite

It's pretty easy to tell when a strut goes to infinite. Just press down one corner of the car and watch it stay there. (lol)

If you move the adjuster to full soft (3 turns counter-clockwise), then fully depress the piston of a strut (without spring installed) and can barely struggle to pull the piston back out by hand, that's infinite in my book! To double-check, just turn the adjuster to a firmer position and try it again, you'll probably have the same sort of resistance.

Its also interesting how many people completely misunderstand the function of adjustment on Koni single-adjustable struts. KONI compression settings are really no diferent than a stock strut and this cannot be changed. The only adjustability on them is for rebound, meaning how much resistance the strut provides to its spring trying to relax to steady-state position. This adjustment (and these strut in general) is intended to allow stiffer springs to be applied and to compensate accordingly to prevent uncontrolled bouncing of the compressed spring due to lack of damping force. Think for example a 2x stiffer spring being used on a stock strut. The spring is way stiffer than the strut's damping force, and will result in bounce.

The correct setting of a KONI single adjustable is NOT based on perception of ride, but is to be exactly matched to the spring it's carrying to absorb jounce and return as quickly as possible to steady state without bounce.

Cranking them all the way "firm" with stock springs does NOT firm up the ride! It means every time the spring compresses, that corner of the car simply sinks and doesn't return to normal ride height as fast as it should, unloading the opposite corner of the car, leading to absolutely abysmal ride and handling.

-M

There are better alternatives

to NOS Koni struts..

Yes, they are expensive, but nothing works as well as new and proper set of dampers..

Those are rebadged KSports...

Do a search on KSport here to get more info. Otherwise I will chime in....
Regards,

Arman

Last edited:
My friend Mike and I

are working on a custom shock spring and camber plate it will be setup with preload which means when you raise and lower the car it's done as an assembly at the shock mount not the spring perch we are hoping to have this ready by midsummer we will be sending full front and rear assembly out to the guy that makes the shocks. price well we are hoping to get a set of 4 2 front 2 rear full assembles shocks,springs and camber plates for around 1200 bucks that may be a little more than some are willing to pay but wait to see the supper high quality way better than Ksport. and from what I'm seeing on the price what Koni's are selling for cheaper than koni.
Stay tuned folks

Back