Lambda Sensor replacement and how to reset the relay to turn off the Ex. Gas Sensor light.

CanuckOwner

Low Mileage
I got my 1981 Fiat X1/9 out of storage and found the Ex. Gas Sensor light was on all the time. It was telling me to replace the Lambda Sensor on the exhaust manifold. See pic1.jpg.

In my 1981 fuel injected car, the sensor could be accessed easily by removing the cardboard cover and metal channel on the back wall of the trunk. A 22mm wrench got it off in no time and I put in a Bosch 11051 sensor ($54.00 Canadian from a local automotive supplier) which was identical to the old one.

However the light did not go out. After a lot of research I could not find out how to to reset the Lambda Sensor relay located behind the console. I tore apart my console looking for a small relay but instead found this very large black box identified as the Lambda Sensor relay. See pic2.

It then struggled to remove the ashtray etc. and other bolts so I could examine the black box. It was totally sealed with no obvious reset button. Then with a close examination I see one of the opening (see pic3) had a white spot down fairly deep. I used a 4 inch piece of coat hanger wire to carefully push down on the white spot. Something went click and yes that reset the relay. I reassembled the console I now know how the reset button is accessible without all this work.

If you reach in on the passenger side and around the back of the console, you should be able to feel the small tube that hides the reset button. A mirror might help you see it. Use a similar piece of wire and press gently inside the tube. to help, Pic 4 shows the correct orientation of the Lambda Relay as it would be attached behind the console.

That's it, now reset in less than 30 seconds. Now you and I know !!!!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 205
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 159
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 171
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 159
Nice write up.

Yes reaching around with a 10 penny nail will allow you to reset it.

Alternatively you can pull the stupid thing out. The O2 sensor you just put in will likely last until the end of the gasoline era :)

Back