Latest completion

NM850

True Classic
Thought I'd share my latest finished car. I lost a lot of build pictures due to a computer crash so I can only share the end result.
This car came to me as "restored" from a reputable? SoCal exotic car shop. It was first brought to me because it was overheating.
Restored is a relative term. I ended up rebuilding the engine and the brakes. The car had no dash, the gauges were just mounted to the metal frame with a home made pad on top. And of course there were countless other little details that were unfinished.

The engine was rebuilt using new Pistons, Scuderia Topolino cam, modified rocker system, custom exhaust, extra core radiator and rebuilt distributor using Pertronix ignition.

Because the car came without a dash a lot of the electrics were not working, hazard, cig lighter, wiper speed, interior lights etc. A dash was sourced off eBay and the car was essentially rewired with relays and LED bulbs which required making a custom turn signal circuit. The aftermarket steering wheel was also replaced with a factory unit.

The car had no center console or arm rests so again used parts were sourced and the chrome strip on the arm rests replaced

The car came with X1/9 wheels but the Cromodoras (all 5) are so much more period correct.

Looking good.

Love the earlier side markers like these, and the yellow which always looks great on an 850. Nice use of the Amsco bumper tube to carry the driving lights.

Re: bar

The Amco bumper overrider bar was a full-width bar, the one on this car is a stock 1972-73 850 Spider front bumper (bar). Reminds me of the old "badge bar" on vintage British cars. :)

The car runs great. Noticeable power increase with the fresh engine and cam.

Those are not Fiat side markers, they are some kind of aftermarket. This is 72 and it had the big side markers, I agree these look better.

The fog lights are in part to hide the bulge that was beaten into the front panel. I've seen this on many later cars, was this done by Fiat to accommodate a bigger spare? Neither my 67 or 68 have this yet a 72 shell I have does. Experts?

I am betting plowing is one answer

NM850,

The front stow area....I am betting plowing, at least in my case it proves out. The under area cowl takes all sorts of abuse from hydroplane, snow-ice slide, wind deflect, over-shooting - impact events.

The concave of the sheet metal is pounded back out to restore the original contour. In many cases....overdone.

Seen this (3) out of (3) times now.

[However....accommodating a larger diameter SPARE makes sense as another culprit for needing the 'bulge'.]

Nice snapshot of the exhaust gasket. I can relate. Yep, reminds me when I had only limited tools, limited material, and "pretty sure this might work" attitude going into to fab'ing something.

Now...we spend 4 million hours designing and building a punch that may generate the perfect hole for that one gasket.

I am seeing breakout on that gasket. I'd probably punch it from both directions to meet in the center also.

Like your choice of wheels. I opted for the same set too and powder coated after inspecting the rims for intergrity.

Your set came from eBay already re-finished ?

You mention an 'extra core' radiator. Huh ? Is your radiator mounted in the same location as the original location ?

Enjoy seeing pics of your progress. Like your choices and good luck on the transmission restore !

That must have been a heap of fun to re-wire the electrics with modern !!

out for now,
lezesig
'72 850Sp

The wheels did come from eBay individually but not finished. I prepped and painted them.

The radiator is in the stock location just thicker. The sides (mounts) were taken off and the core was recentered so it's a little closer on both the fire wall and fan side. I also had the neck changed so I could just run an normal Stant cap. The car is no longer with me but perhaps when it comes back for the transmission install I can photograph it.

Back