Leaking injector?

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
My car has had some trouble starting over the last few weeks. Initially I put it down to the cold weather but this week has been relatively warm and the problem persisted.

Yesterday I disconnected the power to the fuel pump and let the car die from fuel starvation (in order to remove all fuel from the fuel lines). When I started the car today it fired up first go.

I would imagine that this would indicate that the issue is indeed a leaking injector. What confuses me is that even if I had such an issue, sometimes I leave the car for a week before starting it. Over such a period, even with a leaking injector, surely any residual fuel in the lines that leaked through an injector would have vaporised?

In any case, I intend to fit a switch which allows me to deactivate the fuel pump from inside the cabin and let the car run down through fuel starvation whenever I leave it for a prolonged period. Obviously I need to identify the faulty injector eventually, but can anyone see any inherent issue with the proposed "work around"?

Cheers,
Dom.

Before you go thru the trouble of adding a switch I would check the http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/fits/index.html#ljetguide FI guide. Why do you think its a leaky injector? Do you smell fuel? If you are smelling fuel it might be flooding itself. I know I am posting the trouble shooting guide and now breaking the trouble guide rules but...Try and disconect the cold start injector connector (the switch to it not the fuel line itself) and crank it over and see iif she starts.

that's the ticket

mine does the same thing.

Disconnected the cold start injector plug and now it starts every time, even when it was 25 degrees here in AZ - which to us is an Artic Blast lol...

t

Ah. Got it. I would also sort of lean toward a leaky injector. It still could be your cold start (leaking) as there is pressure on that unit too. Its a lot easier to get to than the other injectors. When you have trouble shot everything else and are ready to pin-point the injectors may as well start there.

Good luck!

Back