Leaky Tranny - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Leaky Tranny - Help<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 30 2001 at 7:20 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Matt Schafer"); // --> </SCRIPT>Matt Schafer <NOSCRIPT> Matt Schafer </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->MY X leaks oil from somewhere in the transmission. I think from the bottom where it seals together, but now exactly sure. It started happening after I filled it up with oil (it was almost empty!!). I have NO idea how to remove the transmission to fix the leak, but it does need a new clutch, so this might be a fun project for me to work on. Anyways.... is there some kind of stop-leak or something i can put in there to keep it from dripping all over?

Thanks,
Matt

-----------------
'74 X1/9
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Transmission Stop-Leak...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 30 2001, 8:38 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->... I for one... just have never seen it work!

I also wonder what a Stop Leak does for the gears.

Most manual transmissions don't leak themselves... per se, they leak at the output shafts and input shaft.

Jack up the car and wipe it clean, put some paper on the floor, and SEE exactly what is leaking... where!

Most common on X's is the output shaft seals and if ya do one... ya better do both. These seals can be replaced WITHOUT pulling the trans.

If ya don't have a Haynes, Chilton, or Factory Manual... then you'll need to get one or enlist some experienced help to do this in a day.

If you do need to pull the trans... especially to replace the clutch... once you DO pull the trans... ONCE, you'll find some shortcuts and methods that make it easier. You'll need some jack stands and a good hydraulic jack... a clutch alignment tool (Pep Boys, 2.49)and a good friend to help.

(One hint when reinstalling... I use a ROPE and tie it around it and pull on it from above to assist my help below in aligning and moving the trans back into place.)

It would also help our friends in the BIZZ ifin' ya purchased your parts from our FIAT suppliers... if ya have the time. They are competitively priced and appreciate the business.

If the trans is leaking from one of its halves... and all else is sound... go to a crafts store (Michaels) and purchase E6000 Silecone sealer... or to a parts store and some Permatex Sealer... losen the bolts... squirt some sealer in, and retighten.

Wash the trans down and paint if ya want... and that shold care for your leaks for a good time. I bet if it is leaking... you have some loose bolts.

Good luck... let us know how you do.

Last but not least... pull it and ship it to Steve H for a re-build!

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACKTOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back