Left Foot Rest Anybody?

BrianM

'74 - Blue Bomber
I need a flat place to rest my left foot next to the clutch. The wheel wheel is just too odd a shape and makes my ankle ache. ('74 US car)

Anybody have a good solution?

Thanks,
BrianM

Yep... Make your own...

Use sheet metal and bend and mold it to the contours of the pan... then glue or screw it in place... spray it black and cover with a strip of rubber...

It can go over or under the carpet... but overlay it with a strip of rubber regardless. A cut up old (or new) floor mat can provide the rubber material.

Have fun...

Really?

I had thought of that, I was hoping somebody would chime in with "dude, the '86 had a footrest just pull one out of a yard".

Still hoping
BrianM

Use sheet metal and bend and mold it to the contours of the pan... then glue or screw it in place... spray it black and cover with a strip of rubber...

It can go over or under the carpet... but overlay it with a strip of rubber regardless. A cut up old (or new) floor mat can provide the rubber material.

Have fun...

Dude, the Lancia Scorpion had a footrest...

I had thought of that, I was hoping somebody would chime in with "dude, the '86 had a footrest just pull one out of a yard".

Still hoping
BrianM

Just pull one out of a yard. :)

Seriously I think it does have one. No idea how well it would fit or how hard it would be to adapt. I can try to get some pix of it later.

Madd Matt et al are parting out a scorpion now...

Pete

Don't '74s have the left footrest area?

There is not a lot of room between the wheel housing and the clutch....
footrest.jpg

You mean an "aw-sh*t!" pedal...

My '81 has a flat metal structure over the curved metal. I wonder when that was added? I rest my foot there on freeway cruises.

Should be able to get one from Matt. I'm not sure how securely they're tacked in there.

dead pedal

My X has a pretty flat area. Makes for an excellent dead pedal location under extreme cornering. You can also take the earlier advice and fashion one yourself from sheet metal.

Last edited:
Well then... I figure yur either...

... 4' 2" or 6' 10" if the built in dead-pedal is not sufficient for you...

Yep... Pep Boys carries these for $9.95 and they affix using double-stick tape... Universal P/N RU123NTS... just ask for Manny, Moe or Jack...

HA!

I put my left foot forward of the clutch pedal sometimes

It only works with slim shoes though. Topsiders fit up there, tennis shoes not so much.

No flat spot

On all of my '74's there was just the curved backside of the front wheel wheel. Lots of room for my foot but not comfortably. No pad on my current carpet kit.

sdlsaginaw, lucky somebody else already modded yours.

Love to see that Scorpion foot rest.

BrianM

Body stabilizer ,

is what some European makers call them. Used for spirited driving in turns. My 81 has it and is welded in. I think my 79 aslo has it,, factory made. I use it frequently..:lol:

is what some European makers call them. Used for spirited driving in turns. My 81 has it and is welded in. I think my 79 aslo has it,, factory made. I use it frequently..:lol:

Body Stabilizer... sounds like a fitness product you order from infomercials.
I'd suggest a race-ish seat with high sides to keep your butt from sliding around. A foot rest doesn't seem like something you'd have time to use much between shifts if you are driving "spiritedly" or racing. Probably good for longer road trips though.

Here's the Scorpion arrangement...

On all of my '74's there was just the curved backside of the front wheel wheel. Lots of room for my foot but not comfortably. No pad on my current carpet kit.

sdlsaginaw, lucky somebody else already modded yours.

Love to see that Scorpion foot rest.

BrianM

Not much more than a piece of plastic bolted to the wheel well, as far as I can tell. But it's functional.

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

Pete

PS pardon my ratty carpet. Looking for replacement.

Thanks for the Scorp pics

That spot looks much flater than the X.

How do those speakers mount? That's next on my list.

BrianM

Well I haven't torn it out completely yet...

That spot looks much flater than the X.

How do those speakers mount? That's next on my list.

BrianM

But it would appear that they mount on a piece of sheet metal installed for that purpose on the footwell. It stands proud of the footwell by the height of the speaker. I'm not sure if that's factory or a PO modification.

Forgot to mention - the pix don't really show it but the footrest has a 90 degree bend in it, that makes it conform to the shape of the wheel well. It's kind of like a piece of angle iron, with the flat side (facing you) about twice as wide as the side (facing the gas pedal) that you can't see in the pictures.

Pete

Back