LeMons For Life, Repost originally written by Tom Neely

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
This one appears on the 24 Hours of LeMons board.. it basically says it all about LeMons racing and why I enjoy it so.

Bernice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3967&p=1
Hello all,

I Thought I would jump on here and give a big thumbs up to the brilliant creators of this series and the staff of the Sears Pointless event. I have to say it was the most fun I've had racing in 34 years since beginning in go karts as a kid at age 10.

This series will put numerous more nails in the collected coffins of the various other Club Road Racing organizations nationwide as we know them. There are plenty of semi & pro race series at or near the top of the racing food chain to race in for mid to large dollars. So why race in Club Regionals, Nationals and such for bragging rights against 5 of your buddies in an undersubscribed class where the only people watching were the people that wanted to get on the track next?

And why race in one of these "serious club road race organizations" for nothing but a plastic trophy and your name in the club newsletter? There are no spectators, there are no cameras, and there is no fame, so why spend the money? If you are going to race, then race at the top, if not then race in reality and race in the 24 Hours Lemons. For me now there is nothing in between. I've done all of the other crap as a Driver, Engineer, Builder, Team Owner, in Trans Am, NASPORT, Regionals, Nationals, Runoffs, this series, that series, I even did 5 years as a Competition Chairman ( UGH ) and it’s all total B.S. let me tell you that.

In the end you have nothing to show for it except the well developed skill of weaving through 45 cars spread out over 15 different classes in your run group for a 25 minute race, and memorizing the other 48+ classes competing that weekend so you can explain them to your friends the time they tag along for the first and the only time they watch you.

If you are looking for a real driving experience I challenge you to enter the Carousel at Infineon full clip in 4th gear approaching the back of a pack of 14 cars including but not limited to the following vehicles, one giant Weiner Mobile, 2 Volkswagens with 10 speed bikes bolted to the roof, A car that looks like it’s from a bad Sci-Fi flick, a car with a giant snack food glued to the roof, a car with a miniature restaurant displayed on the trunk, and to top it off a V-8 powered Taxi Cab that clearly reads "Death Ride" on the back of it (all the while amongst numerous other automobiles that should have long ago traveled back across the seas to China in sea containers as scrap metal ) and to barely come out in front of this group by turn 7A without a black flag penalty or making contact and only to run into another eclectic group of sacrilegiously prepared racing creations entering into turn 11.

So in a nutshell, here is my advice to those of you reading this and thinking of racing Lemons for the first time. Make sure you have done everything in motorsports that you have wanted to accomplish in your career. I assure you that once you race Lemons you may never go back and spend your hard earned money to race with the wannabes, the Jones’, and various other Walter Mitty’s who take themselves way too seriously while they forgo paying their mortgage on time to buy the latest $1,250.00 Penske shock absorber for their overpriced national contender, bragging to their circle of friends that they are a “race car driver”. I know real race car drivers and they sir are not real race car drivers. The real race car drivers should be on TV. The rest of us will be in 24 Hours Lemons having a blast dodging the dreaded black flag or building IKEA furniture in the penalty box.

Signed Lemons for Life

Tom Neely
Team 510
Last edited by raceneely (Yesterday 06:15 PM)

Back