Let me introduce myself

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Hi folks. I'm quite new here. Been lurking for about 6 months but have only posted a couple of times. You seem like a great bunch and I find this forum both interesting and informative. By far the best X site on the web.

I've always had a soft spot for Fiats. Had a '72 128, a '74 w1/9 (dark brown with a tan interior - I know not a popular colour with you guys but I loved it. I still consider '74 to be the best and purest of all X's. I have still quite a few remnants of it - maybe I'll post a list one day. I had another '74 converted for autocross with a 1500 in it. Then a '79 Brava - neat car.

I have currently a 1981 x1/9 with an interesting but shameful history. It was bought new in Germany by a member of our armed forces. Seems to be a U.S. spec. car (F/I, 85 mph speedo, cat). I guess he had some pull because he had the car flown home to Vancouver in the early eighties. Unfortunately he died not too long after and the car was inherited by his brother in Toronto who had it shipped here by train. I purchased it in maybe 1988 or so and drove it a couple of years until a brake line that ran through the engine bay rusted out. It appeared to be almost impossible to change the line with the engine in place and it was showing signs of a blown head gasket anyway so I yanked the engine (by the way, contrary to all the manuals, the engine can be removed out the top).

The car had by this time of course some of the dreaded Fiat rust so I decided to have the body fixed and painted. Underneath and all the fenders and rockers were still perfect. It was that orangy-red but I thought pure red would look better so I ended up completely stripping the car to do a proper colour change. I had a perfect door shipped in from California and a brand new nose shipped in from Italy before sending the car in to a body shop where they properly fixed the remaining rust before panting it (Acura NSX bright red).

While the car was off for painting I ended up completely rebuilding the engine to a much upgraded spec, and the transmission - all new bearings and synchos.

When the car returned from the body shop to prevent a recurrence of the rust I bought some special aircraft spec. rustproofing and sprayed it liberally inside all the chassis rails, rockers, windshield pillars, doors, etc. I then replaced every brake line (steel & rubber), all wheel bearings, struts, calipers, rotors, etc., and started to re-asssemble the car.

That was in 1991 or 1992 and I'm ashamed to admit I haven't touched the car since! Things like work, life, and home renovations seemed to take priority. At least the car has always remained indoors and warm and dry, and still looks as good as the day it arrived home from paint.

A few months ago I was surfing the web and came across this site. You guys have re-ignited my enthusiasm and I'm now determined to return my X to it's riteful place on the open road. I guess it's my own sort of barn find!

I hope I can count on you guys for a few words of encouragement and maybe some help remembering how some things go back together after 20 years or to help me find some bits lost along the way!

In return I'll help this forum any way I can. I have a complete factory parts manual and factory service manual for 79-80 models. They are great reference tools - I used them all the time. If someone out there locally wants to borrow them and maybe scan them and post them into some kind of reference archive here I would gladly oblige - I would do it if I could but I have no idea how to.

By the way, I run an auto parts warehouse up here and although we don't stock many X1/9 parts anymore - there sure aren't many cars still surviving here - we can still get same or next day most common parts (brakes, hydraulics, KYB, Bosch parts, valve shims, etc.) I'll give you wholesale pricing and at least I won't laugh at you when you call for X1/9 parts!

Sorry to be so long- winded here but I just wanted to say hello.

So for my first dilemma please see my post in the FSW section and see if you can help me out or point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Doug.

Welcome Doug

Welcome to Xweb! We are always happy to have new members join us here.

Now let's see some pictures of the car. We :heart: pictures!! ;)

Welcome

Thanks for your passion for Fiats, I mirror much of the sentiment expressed in your post. Welcome, you will find much good-will and integrity this forum, these people are the real deal and most have been here for many years. Cheers.

Welcome. Ditto on the pics, we love them. We went for a drive to an ice cream shop earlier, you guys are lucky we didn't bring a camera or you would have pictures of that!

Hello Doug,
We are not so far (Quebec/Ontario) :)
You take the good decision to revive your X, Welcome.
Another Canadian in the X family:)

Welcome Doug

seems the Ontario contingent of Xs is growing :)

did some body mention we require photos before we can help?

You see we can't read:geek:

Welcome

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace. We need to have a Canadian get together. With any luck I will have my car streeted soon.

Just for the record, my first X....

H
I've always had a soft spot for Fiats. Had a '72 128, a '74 w1/9 (dark brown with a tan interior - I know not a popular colour with you guys but I loved it.

Just for the record, my first X was dark brown and I loved it. My long-term restoration '74 project is another brown car.

Speaking of ugly brown X's...

...I removed the Walmart hubcaps and refinished the rusty stock steel wheels, to get me by, until I can get the Daytonas. Also in the process of re-dying my interior beige and chocolate and adding some hp.
NOTE: The eyewash station was located next to the car, because everyone needs to use it after looking at this awful thing!
x2.jpg

Doug.......

My gosh Doug, I read your story and the hairs at the back of my neck were tingling!!!!!!!

I too was stationed out West in the early 80's, CFB Comox on Vancouver Island to be exact. At the time, I had an Ugly Brown X, and lived in an appartment complex downtown.

Here's where it gets creepy......if it is the same X, the fellow used to live in the same appartment complex as I did. I used to admire the "new" X sitting in the parking lot.

Funny thing is, I never once saw it leave that parking lot. Then one day it was gone. Now my story blends in with yours......I came to find out that the owner, who was military, had passed away and that it had been shipped away.

I was going to ask you if it was orange, but after re-reading your post, you indicate that it was......

I'm not much help here, but felt the need to share this little tidbit.

(insert the Twilight Zone ditty.....TOODOODOODOO)

Welcome Doug... First it was...

... nuttin' but BLUE X's, then nothing but JIMS... now its nuttin' but CANUCKS!

Seems we gather in BUNCHES around this site...

HA!

I betcha we get a Blue Canadian X owner named Jim next!

Welcome aboard in any case... do check with us FIRST before ya try to DO or BUY anything... as there is sooooo much experience here that'll save ya time, money and frustration. Of course... shipping to Canada is always an issue, but nuttin' like Australia or Romania!

Do send fotos... we'll be waiting!

Welcome!

My first X was a BROWN 74 also!!! I loved it, still do...wish I had it back. I have a BLUE 80 now, and yes I love it too. A lot of great people with a lot of great knowledge and tips on this forum, I've learned so much. Good look to ya.
Michael

Well Tony ,,,

my 79 was originally medium blue (now a terrible orange/red) and the 81 was originally dark blue metalic(now 81 camaro yellow)
I like the blues I had but will change the colour every time I repaint. I'm also Canadian and a JIM so I guess I am the "man" Ha

Thanks

Hey guys. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Special thanks to Lou in Kandahar. I almost fell off my chair when I read your post. It sure is a small world sometimes. I'm thinking it must have surely been the same X. When I got it the car still had the german Fiat dealer sticker on the trunk lid. Wonder if you noticed that? I recall the original owners last name was Justice - does that ring any bells with you. His brother (whom I got the car from) was fairly young - maybe about 30- so i'm guessing he must have been too. I often wondered how he had that much pull for his age and what he succumbed to - out of respect I never asked. If you ever recall any more or talk to someone who knew him i'd love to hear it.

And hey Lou - contrary to common belief- there is no such thing as an ugly brown X!!!

To the rest of you - I have been trying desperately - as you requested- to post some pics. Sunday nite I went to the garage and moved all the crap stored on/in/beside it and took a bunch of digital pictures. Have been trying ever since to post them here - with no success. Someone finally came over tonite and showed me how so I'll start a new post in a few minutes. Wish me luck.

Thanks again, Doug

Back