Photos as requested

picture460.jpg
picture470p.jpg
picture461.jpg
picture471.jpg
picture474a.jpg
picture459.jpg

Re: above photos

Hey, looks like I finally figured out how post some pics. Paint is actually much better than it appears. I think it's 20 years of dust showing strangely with the flash and some wierd reflections.

Before you ask - wheels are Mille Miglia 5.5 x 13. Made in Italy prob. in the 70's. Are proper Fiat wheels - they are hubcentric and have the extra holes for the locating pins. Haven't seen them here before.

Not sure I really like them but at least they are different, look Italian, are period-correct, and are in decent shape! If you think they are ugly I won't be offended.

Thanks again, Doug

Now that there is...

...is lookin' finer than a new set of race tires.

Having body/paint done is 8/10ths of the process.
Now you're at the fun part.
Assembly.
Just like a model car.
Only bigger.
Would help if you have access to an assembled car for reference.

Cars that have been disassembled for long time
sometimes have parts mysteriously vanish.
No worries...virtually any thing is available,
and prices are reasonable.
Suggest taking inventory up front
to verify what's there and what's missing.
It's good to avoid looking for stuff,
declaring it lost,
purchasing replacement,
then finding original part.
Again, having an assembled X available for reference would be helpful.

So...I'd wager the most confounding aspect will be
finding nuts/bolts of suitable quality for a very nice resto.
Suggest finding well stocked hardware store,
or perhaps a certain Midwest Vendor,
known for custom cad plated baubles,
can put together a CARE package of said baubles.

Paint looks great, Doug...

Nice to have a clean platform to start with... that is is if you aren't planning to make anymore mods.

You might wanna consider lowering he front end a bit for a bunch of good reasons and not just for aesthetics. See Best Of in 1.0 for hints and procedures... ask here for more when ready.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Still have that tingling sensation......

Doug.....

Hey guys. Thanks for the warm welcome!

The guys here are just awesome.......and this group only gets better!!! :):thumbsup::pimp:

Special thanks to Lou in Kandahar. I almost fell off my chair when I read your post. It sure is a small world sometimes. I'm thinking it must have surely been the same X. When I got it the car still had the german Fiat dealer sticker on the trunk lid. Wonder if you noticed that? I recall the original owners last name was Justice - does that ring any bells with you. His brother (whom I got the car from) was fairly young - maybe about 30- so i'm guessing he must have been too. I often wondered how he had that much pull for his age and what he succumbed to - out of respect I never asked. If you ever recall any more or talk to someone who knew him i'd love to hear it.

Thanks, and imagine how I felt reading your post.....and still do.....now, I don't recall the "dealer sticker" but after having perused your photos, I certainly do recall those wheels!!!! My memory is a bit hazy as I was just a young punk with the "chick magnet" back then:pimp:.....LOL....and I was more busy cruising the girls than making "work" friends. I really don't recall the fellow's name from work, but the Base at that time was rather large and there must have been a couple thousand folks working there.

But I do remember that the car had not moved the entire time it was in that apartment parking, thus leading me to believe Mr. Justice had passed away prior to my moving in. I've been searching the archives for information, but am striking out.

As for transporting it from Germany, all military personnel that were posted to Germany could bring a car into Germany as well as bring one back upon return to Canada, as part of their personal effects, at no cost to the individual. I know a few guys that planned their purchases accordingly, and bought a North American muscle car (at least 6 months before leaving Canada) and sold it overseas for a profit, and then bought some form of older European sports car (again 6+ months before departure) to be sold back here in Canada, again for profit......and this was all completely legal.

And hey Lou - contrary to common belief- there is no such thing as an ugly brown X!!!

LOL....I know, but there are others here that seem to think ALL brown X's are ugly.....for the short time I had that one, it was "beautiful"!!!!:thumbsup:

Moving forward "28 years" and I find myself in two X's.....both are 78's, the first one "was" my project car, but a few months ago I acquired the second one, which essentially is a "daily driver" and I have now relegated my project to being my "parts supply"....LOL.

I should be home from Kandahar for the month of April, at which time I plan on replacing both Master Cylinders and the Slave Cylinder. Big project, but much safer to drive. More on that in another post.

To the rest of you - I have been trying desperately - as you requested- to post some pics. Sunday nite I went to the garage and moved all the crap stored on/in/beside it and took a bunch of digital pictures. Have been trying ever since to post them here - with no success. Someone finally came over tonite and showed me how so I'll start a new post in a few minutes. Wish me luck.

Thanks again, Doug

PM me if you wish, I'll pass on more personal info, and maybe we can meet up some time. I'm through Toronto quite often (twice every 3 months - in and out of Kandahar) and may have some time to burn someday.

nice looking x Doug

If you would like I will take them ugly wheels off your hands for free to save you any further embarrassment :innocent:

Back