"Limited slip diffs have put food on my table for 17 years..."

WOWOWOWOWOW...

Those dual surfacing propellers are KILLERS!

Looks like the forward prop has 4 blades and the after prop has 5.

I just looked at a $1,285,000.00 home today out in Ventura and sitting in the "backyard" on a flotation mooring was a 45 foot motor cruiser... almost a "Cigarette"... with twin surfacing propeller drives!

HA!

Supposedly it ran two 525ci big blocks (?) on gas and I THINK it probably cost as much as the house!

(BTW, the house was a 2 story at 3805 square feet and 5 years old, with a 3 car garage on a corner lot... the rear facing west over looking the main harbor at "Sea Breeze". A real bargain... but with tile that was horrible, both on the floor and counters. What a shame... but if I could get it for a million flat... HA!)

Didja win the lottery Tony?

That's some serious scratch for a house... payments would be, what, 11 or 12k a month? :shock:

Maybe you CA guys are used to that tho! :cool:

Pete

Well Papa,

Me knows nothing about boats or surface props...

What's the difference and how do they work? Some one enlighten me on this..

the only thing I do know is what a friend who sold boats told me years ago.. "bottomless money pit"

I do know speed boats are the land of BIG displacement engines, much Detroit iron here and Lamborghini 12's did well in speed boat racing.

A typical house in San Francisco easily runs 1.2M, that would be for a reasonable neighborhood and about 2,000 sq ft.

Those dual surfacing propellers are KILLERS!

Looks like the forward prop has 4 blades and the after prop has 5.

I just looked at a $1,285,000.00 home today out in Ventura and sitting in the "backyard" on a flotation mooring was a 45 foot motor cruiser... almost a "Cigarette"... with twin surfacing propeller drives!

HA!

Supposedly it ran two 525ci big blocks (?) on gas and I THINK it probably cost as much as the house!

(BTW, the house was a 2 story at 3805 square feet and 5 years old, with a 3 car garage on a corner lot... the rear facing west over looking the main harbor at "Sea Breeze". A real bargain... but with tile that was horrible, both on the floor and counters. What a shame... but if I could get it for a million flat... HA!)

Yeah I know prices are high out there...

I just have to wonder where the average Joe comes up with 10k a month for a mortgage payment on a 1m home. Are salaries that much higher out there?

To even be able to pay 10k a month (nothing else, just the mortgage), you would need to gross about 170k a year... then car payments, utilities, insurance, etc... Does the average family really make 300k?

Or do you take out 90 year mortgages? :laugh:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just curious.

Pete

Hey Pete... Its all relative...

My $98K home bought in '79 was ONCE worth about $800K before the s*** hit the fan. In some respects, yur right, I did win the lottery, as I contemplate how fortunate I am.

I did struggle a bit with the math but could possibly sell all that I own and with liquidating other investments, MIGHT be able to get into the place. It does indeed have everthing I THINK I ever wanted, so I would be happy to just sit there. The idea of owning such a place is rather intimidating and "foreign" to my way of life. I do THINK I could manage to get used to it.

Also intimidating are the taxes and fees, etc.

Anyway... we aren't gonna do it with this particular place... but will probably step up to being more "prepared" to take advantage of a similar offering in the near future. I believe I have STARTED to get my wife to focus more in this direction, and I can "practice" getting more used to the idea.

BTW, it was 74 at the beach yesterday and as I headed inland to come home, it reached 99 at 3:30 in the afternoon. I FEEL a whole bunch better now knowing such a dream is indeed possible. It was always too far out of my reach before when I was YOUNG and could actually surf or something. HA! Now that I'm OLD, I guess I can lay on the beach and scare children... HAHAHA!

I'll sell ya MY place Tony...

...and you don't have to worry about mowing the lawn either... :laugh: But the City will plow the sidewalks off for ya.

housesnow001smlu0.jpg

Pete... some more...

I just have to wonder where the average Joe comes up with 10k a month for a mortgage payment on a 1m home. Are salaries that much higher out there?

I'm a bit out of touch with the current financing and stuff also... but my son bought a $700K condo about 5 years back, I'm unsure how much he put down (probably about $100K), but payments are about $5K a month! I do believe he made about $150 - $300K a year, owning his own Graphic design firm. He indeed does well, especially in his line of work, as he "neighbors" with a bunch of "professionals" such as doctors and lawyers.

To even be able to pay 10k a month (nothing else, just the mortgage), you would need to gross about 170k a year... then car payments, utilities, insurance, etc... Does the average family really make 300k?

No, not average, as we have MILLIONS of unemployed, homeless, alien and the like, living in all sorts of things and homes of much lesser value. We have a lot of DESERT...

My home, for example, back in '79, was at about the furthest "commutable distance" to LA for work, about 50 miles with NO public transportation, or even a freeway. It took me about 25 minutes though, to drive 27 miles of highway to the "Valley" and 30 years later, now with buses and trains and freeways... it takes 1 - 1 1/2 hours. I now live in a highly desireable area, with a population that has grown from less than 40K to over 300K.

Or do you take out 90 year mortgages? :laugh:

In this economy, its great for a person that has a good job to be a first-time homebuyer... and actually, as prices have become more EQUALIZED, not a bad time for others who have equity also. Its just getting used to the NEW pricing structure.

I personally have a lot going for me financially and a lot going against me, physically... and I'll leave that discussion for some other time. Kinda like an oxy-moron or poetic-justice kinda thing. As an example... I have a good friend who just yesterday called to announce that he basically had won the lottery to the tune of about $300,000.00! Wow, and I am soooo happy for him. After 8 years of almost total blindness, 35+ years after 3 tours in Vietnam, they finally will be awarding him his benefits...

Now... what does he do, or can he do with the money...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just curious.

Hope I made ya feel better, and gave you some REAL insight... My primary purpose for the background was to emphasize the BOAT and it's propulsion... Not everything is as it seems on the surface.

Enjoyed the chatter though...

Me too Tony...

I'd talk about the boat, but I don't know anything about them. I tend to agree with Bernices assessment about them being a money pit tho!

Sounds like you are in a good position and at a good time to get into a nice(r) place. Congratulations! Wishing you the best.

Hold out for the 3-car garage with a lift tho. :wink2:

Pete

Bernice... As an old sailor... I have vast...

... reams of knowledge on all things nautical!

HAHAHA!

(I served 3 years, 10 months and 11 days in Uncle Sam's Floating Farce and only served aboard a LSM from Coronado Island to the First Street Landing in San Diego... for Liberty! Basically, so did all the other NATOLIS as my mother was a WAVE Pharmicist's Mate, Second, serving at Long Island Naval Hospital, my father a SeaBee (Naval Construction) Motor Machinist's Mate First, in the Fijis, my brother an Aviation Photographer's Mate, Chief, and I was an Electronics Technician, Second, in Danang. We NATOLIS basically FLEW wherever we went in this man's NAVY!)

Well Papa,

Me knows nothing about boats or surface props...

What's the difference and how do they work? Some one enlighten me on this..

About 1976, I went crazy over sailcraft and at one time had THREE boats totally 48+ feet! HA! We raced 18 foot catamarans mostly, but I have always had an interest in all things nautical.

Most popular today for most folks are JET DRIVES and summerged propeller driven watercraft. A jet drive is basically a PUMP that has a spinning IMPELLER inside a housing that sucks water in and accelerates it out the back, like a high velocity water nozzle.

They are really a relatively SAFE boat to be around if you are a SKIER as there is never a fear of getting fouled in the prop, be it the tow rope or the towed.

Disadvantage to the jet drive is some fuel and operational efficiency and KNOWING that in order to TURN you must give it GAS, when your first impulse is to back off... Steering, fore and aft direction, and trim is accomplished by tweaking the nozzle up and down, left and right, and redirecting the flow backwards.

Summerged props are found on most other craft and use a rudder to steer, a transmission to reverse and trim tabs to level the boat. More efficient than a jet, more dangerous for skiers, more accurate for competition speeds. Newer thinking has involved COUNTER-ROTATING props that neutralize "crabbing" and increase efficiencies, variable pitched props, and also reversing props, that do away with a typical trans.

Surfacing propeller theory came from the concept of SWIMMING. As when you do an overhead stroke... its easier to move your arm and hand through the air, than through the water. I guess there must be a point when a summerged prop is not as efficient, and another point where it is. Anyway, when larger ships would rock so much that their prop actually came out of the water, the prop would accelerate and then as it re-entered the water, plunge in and accelerate the boat ahead. Some thought this would be a great idea, and it is now universally accepted. Many HUGE tankers and the like now have surfacing props, but still use a rudder. Still others have the props mounted on steerable pedestals that will turn 360 degrees and probably adjust the trim also.

For Sport boats... they have evolved into a long shaft, steerable surfacing prop that usually extends a few feet behind the transom. On most dual engine craft, they usually counter-rotate the props for a more neutral helm. This is the FIRST time I have seen counter-rotating props, on counter-rotating shafts, on a dual engined craft. Also the first time I have seen a counter-rotating prop with a different number of blades. Many firsts here!

the only thing I do know is what a friend who sold boats told me years ago.. "bottomless money pit"

Almost as bad as a race horse...

As far as typical Bay Area homes, $1.2 mil for 2000 square feet is indeed typical, but not with a 45 foot dock on a bay!

Good chatting with ya...

Thanks for the offer Bob...

Just what is all that white stuff ya have piled out front... SALT?

My gardner would s*** if he had to clean that stuff up every week...

HA!

Pete... it had a 3-car garage...

... maybe I hold out for a 4-car... as some in the 'hood had them!

HA!

(But my FIRST home improvement project woulda been to put a lift in the middle stall on this house!)

You should move to STL Tony

You could get an 8 car garage with a big house for 1/2 that price here. And then I could come over and use the pool. Well... the pool or the pond. ;)

A house for the "third age" folks

As some of you may know I am about to start building my new house.
I did a lot of thinking and decided that at my age (71) I need a small, compact house that fits my current needs and my real life.
So it is a 756 sq ft one bedroom + one fortified shelter (a statutory requirement), a dining area and a cozy living room.
It also includes a nice size ofice space a kitchen a Bathroom and a half and a 270 sq ft garage, for my WhiteX and a laboratory.
I worked pretty hard to keep it small and I know I am going to love it.
Why build a house for my past life, look forword.
IMHO.

Here we go

The guy I purchased my Topolino sedan from is good friends with Sir Jack Brabham.

How's that for a name drop.:)

Great reading thanks for the post.

Hey Tony!

Will they take an IOU for that house? I hear that's what yoy rich folks are usin' for money these days!

A whole different perspective...

Herzel... why not move to Sunny SoCal and spend your next 71 years here? We'd love ta have ya...

Back