Link to twin dcnf k&n style air filters wanted

petex19

True Classic
Looking for link to twin air filters. K&N style filters. I bought a set of ram-flo (still new in box) for DCNF's but didn't realize they are for single dcnf carbs and two beside each other don't fit. I found this picture on xweb that belongs to one of our members. I love the setup. Yes I know this members car has a custom top piece.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 79
Looks to me like it's 2 single chrome base plates & filters with a custom 1-piece lid.
Yes I see that but can't seem to find a link to purchase them. The ones I bought are for single DCNF so the oval is too big to fit two beside each other.

Mine came with the twin DCNFs I bought from Mid-West Bayless. They are rectangular rather than oval though. You might check to see if Matt sells them separately.

Mine came with the twin DCNFs I bought from Mid-West Bayless. They are rectangular rather than oval though. You might check to see if Matt sells them separately.
Found this listing on ebay and seller lists them as for twin DCNF setups but being for VW, the carbs aren't beside each other. I messaged seller asking for the length of each filter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_193344_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_193344_Chrome.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 16
Hi Pete,
I have genuine K&N and they fit fine.
Hi Ulix, so just shop for k&n filters for dcnf carbs?
When I was running my twin 45 dcoe’s, I bought genuine k&n for them and they fit perfectly. Not sure why these expensive ram-flo filters I bought from Australia are so much larger an oval.

Last edited:
I found what I believe is the correct part # for twin 40dcnf's. I need to determine if the 3.5" high filter will fit under the 1500 engine cover or I need to find the 1.9" high filter element. Maybe Ulix can help me with that decision?
Crazy expensive and I'm assuming these listings are for only 1 filter assembly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224_095001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_095001_Chrome.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 15
I ended up going with these K&N knock offs. 1/4 the price and come with the low profile filter element so I'm sure they'll fit under the engine cover.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224_103844_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_103844_Chrome.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 31
Lay a piece of wood across the top of your carbs and then scrunch up some aluminum foil to make a crushable ridge over the wood. Close your engine cover and it will deform the foil to your available height under the cover. Wonderfully simple measuring technique. At least with an X you won't do an visible damage to the cover with the rain tray in. On a spider you can end up with dimples on the hood if you don't have enough clearance for your new filter.

Lay a piece of wood across the top of your carbs and then scrunch up some aluminum foil to make a crushable ridge over the wood. Close your engine cover and it will deform the foil to your available height under the cover. Wonderfully simple measuring technique. At least with an X you won't do an visible damage to the cover with the rain tray in. On a spider you can end up with dimples on the hood if you don't have enough clearance for your new filter.
Thanks for the tip. I found the k&n listing on Amazon that comes with 3.25" high filters or 83mm.
I read on our forum that 2 x throttle size top clearance above any air horns is a rough(minimum) rule of thumb.
I'll cancel my order for the 1.75" k&n knock offs I found on ebay.
If anyone else needs the k&n part# is #56-1210

I have those filters on my DCNF's with no clearance issues, but I have removed the rain tray before I got the carbs.

Dual DCNF's 01.jpg

I have those filters on my DCNF's with no clearance issues, but I have removed the rain tray before I got the carbs.

View attachment 81906
Excellent thank you for the information. I too have rain tray removed. I see you have a heat shield under your carbs. Did you buy or build it? Did you put any phenolic spacers under the carbs?

I built the rain tray. Before I retired, I had access to a machine shop and used autocad to make it. Unfortunately, I no longer have that file.
I used one phenolic spacer under each carb and a thin gasket between the heat tray and manifold.

The tall filters fit under the 1500 lid with rain tray intact. The left picture has the smaller phenolic spacer.

Attachments

• 20170626_130237.jpg
    20170626_130237.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180220_162127.jpg
    20180220_162127.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 34
Stoles race shop manifold. I purchased the manifold and twin carbs from one of our members. I ordered those exact k&n filters from Amazon. They'll arrive in a few weeks so we'll see if they fit. Returnable if they don't.
This one?
Here are some pics of the older more common [I think] Sprintmaster dual DCNF manifold. It looks more compact but very hard to tell.
20240227_085731.jpg20240227_085701.jpg20240227_094122.jpg
Like you say, I guess we will find out!

Back