Lolly-Pop Shift Linkage adjustment, or a bad trans?

wrxdrew

1300cc's of Angry Bees
While I am getting all this great help from Xweb, I might as well ask about the Lolly-Pop and shifter set up on my '76 4spd.

I was told when i bought the car, that it simply needed a linkage adjustment. Meanwhile....

I've got a 1st gear that's hard to find at slow speed
2nd almost always has to be double clutched and forced
I can't feel third though it is there, there is no definable "click"
4th gear and reverse are fine.

whats does xweb think?

Is this just a bad lolly-pop or linkage, or is this a bad transmission?

If it is just the shift linkage how can i resolve this

Opinions

A worn out lollipop usually causes a very loose/sloppy shifter. And almost alwasy results in reverse being difficult to find. First/second too.

That reverse is fine indicates you have a worn out transmission. That said, before doing anything else, I would check the lollipop to make sure its tight and properly adjusted. If no improvement, you are likely going to need a gearbox.

anybody have diagrams or how-to info on how to adjust or set the lollypop? I have a new one coming in the mail, and will probably do this first.

Easy

Put the transmission in neutral, disconnect the linkage so the shift lever flops around freely. Place the shift lever in the straight-up position and reconnect the linkage without moving the shifter. Done.

It's easier than it sounds to get it fastened back up without disturbing the position of the shifter, but the first time you do this you might want to have a helper sit in the car and hold the it in its straight up position.

Double-check the torque on the lollipop/linkage bolts when you're done.

Back