long and short struts. Both 1500?

Mxgrds

True Classic
2 years ago I bought a set of struts for my 1981 1500 injection. I have lowering springs. The last months I noticed my car started to lean backwards and becoming very low. So I compared the new struts with my old struts. It appears that the new once are 3 cm shorter between spring plate and bottom. Are the new ones struts for a 1500?
4EC42C5D-B3D9-4FDD-B77E-9A35EC994D2A.jpeg

Eurosport UK shows two listings for 1500cc cars:

https://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/i...id=722&zenid=ef30c934506d74798c76714b546ef7ef
This listing is for USA spec 1500 cars which differ from Euro spec 1500 cars in that the ride height in the rear is 3cm lower with USA models. My guess is that the lower ride height is to meet a US bumper height specification. The listing says that the distance between the spring seat and upper bolt hole is 18cm.

https://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/i...id=721&zenid=ef30c934506d74798c76714b546ef7ef
This listing is for Euro spec 1500 cars. The listing says that the distance between the spring seat and the upper bolt hole is 21cm.

If your new ones measure 3cm shorter than the old ones, perhaps you were inadvertently shipped USA-spec strut assemblies @ 18cm when you really needed Euro-spec strut assemblies @ 21cm.

Most USA-based X1/9 owners might thing that their cars have a "nose-up" attitude especially when comparing to a Euro-spec car, but in reality these specs show that the cars have an ass-down rather than nose-up attitude.

[Edited to correct "30cm" to "3cm."]

Last edited:
Those look like Koni's? I seem to recall the very early Koni application for the X1/9 was a different length than their later one. Might have been a 1300 vs 1500 thing with Koni? I'm not certain. And I don't recall which one was longer.

Thanks. That clear things. I have an US model, but with euro bumpers. I fitted the lower struts with new lowering springs. That was ok for a while, but I guess the springs settle after a while resulting in a very low ride.

Those look like Koni's? I seem to recall the very early Koni application for the X1/9 was a different length than their later one. Might have been a 1300 vs 1500 thing with Koni? I'm not certain. And I don't recall which one was longer.
The only difference between the early Koni's and the later ones that I'm aware of is the part number. The earlier ones were 82 series, the later ones were 87 series. I have each at TrueChoice right now and they confirmed.
Of course 1300 and 1500 rears are different...

If I'm not mistaken - Euro rear struts are different than North American struts. Meaning, they're effectively taller. That's why Euro cars look "level" but kinda high off the ground. I also had a set of Konis that made my lowered car look jacked up in the rear! (my car used to sit level on modified springs using KYB struts before I put the Konis on)

Yes, all correct.

Euro (carbed) 1500 rears are taller and cause a level offroad stance.

Koni also made their 1500 rears taller, so that the 1300 rear Konis are shorter. I don‘t know if they are the same length as US 1500 stock rears.

As I recall some had different lower mounting tabs that were offset to raise the strut, but I believe the actual strut body length was the same.

EU 1500 rear struts are 3cm taller than US 1500 rear struts which is about 1 3/16” taller.

US rear struts for a 1500 and a 1300 share the same distance from the upper bolt hole to the spring perch of 18cm, the differences between them are: the manner in which the upper part of the strut shaft is machined requires either the early style upper spring and bump stop mounting or the late 1500 rear strut mounting and the lower collar with the two bolt holes to mount to the knuckle is different on the 1500 to clear the CV joint as Myron states above.

What I find interesting about the Euro vs USA strut heights in general is how the Euro actually sits higher overall (rear lifted to match the front). Typically most vehicles are the other way around; the US versions sit higher than their Euro brothers to meet various US regulations. Also with the US version having a lower rear, but not the front, then that sets things like bumpers and headlights at an angle respectively. Seems like that would actually go against the intent of the US regulations. If anything you might guess they would have to do the opposite; keep the rear the same (tall) height and raise the front even more to meet US regs (again, based on what other vehicles had to do). I'm not disputing if this is the case, just saying I find it odd for US vehicles.

6C70C524-3058-4DCC-AF4D-8FEEEA5FDCEE.jpeg A227B910-54A4-4A19-A470-7527D5C6A982.jpeg I guess It started to lean backwards because the springs got a bit weaker. When the struts were fitted the lowering springs were quite new. The first photo is shortly after fitted. The second how it looks now. I have koni’s with euro-spec fitted and now the car is leveled again.

I like your yacht in the background of the second pic. I guess you take the X on it with you and use it to get around while you are docked? ;)

Back