Look what I found buried under a pile of stuff

myexonenine

True Classic
my uno turbo + 5 speed conversio

did a bit of a garage cleanup and found my old X1/9 buried under random stuff in a big pile in the middle of my garage...

Recently went to a gathering of vintage and classics cars, saw a couple of X1/9's and it got me all excited about fixing mine up...
Just need to source some parts and get the uno turbo motor in and rebuild the interior and wiring...

Last edited:
HA... yeah, mine was once a...

... "shelf" in my garage for almost 7 years also, buried under a bunch of stuff. Never again!

Good luck and keep in touch with your progress...

its been off the road for about 4 years now, in that time I've had an old 83 Subaru which we now use as a paddock thrash wagon now, an 84 4Runner which I put all sorts of goodies on, now a 98 105 Landcruiser done up as a cross country tourer, and a BMW F650GS bike... :bla:
but its time to get the X back on the road for some real driving! :dance2:

I'm quite pleased looking at all the parts and the condition of the body, most parts looks like they will bolt back together with only a bit of cleaning and/or painting :)

starting digging with the wire brush on the angle grinder today and found more holes than I expected, someone had covered a big hole up with silver duct tape... I didn't even know it was there!
I did some dent pulling, welding a bolt to the area to be pulled using my slide hammer, worked well but I had to do some welding and grinding to clean up where I attached the bolt.
I'm not going to get too serious with the rust repair, but I will make it look nice and treat all areas with stuff (probably lanolin) to keep the rust at bay.

update on progress, just pics really

all the holes in the body have so far been filled with a fibreglass patch set with KBS rust seal, then just auto bog on top of that, with some high build spray putty. Its all working out pretty good so far :)

The gearbox is a hybrid of an Uno Turbo and X1/9 5 speeds, so I had to fit the clutch arm and bracket from my 4 speed to it, just required threading a hole in the case for the stud and drilling another for the front of the bracket.

My custom dash is coming along well, I'm still not sure how much work it will take to make it look good as I'm pretty new to fibreglassing... its mostly made of 7mm ply with aluminium brackets riveted to it so it mounts to the other part of the stock dash, and has brackets for the stock cluster to screw down to it.

I was trying to figure out ....

...what this was..

IMAG0163800x600.jpg

..until I read through the text :D

Car looks like it's coming along. Any particular reason you left it apart so long?

I'm lazy!

well first thing is, I bought another X1/9 so I could still have one on the road, but this just kept me busy fixing that one... I should have thought that through first.
Since I sold that one I've had 3 4x4's, which have kept me busy modifying/fixing those, its only now that I have a reliable one that I can get back to work on the Fiat.

I've really missed driving the X and am really enjoying bringing it back to life :)

Did some more work on the dash part, I just had to keep reminding myself it was only 20 bucks of vinyl and what's the worst that could happen... But it all came together quite well I think, and will look great once I die the rest of the interior black and bolt it all back in the car :D

IMAG0198.jpg

I made up a brass bush so I could fit a fan and pulley I had lying around to the alternator I got from Midwest.
I also modified my old sun visor feet rods to hold the new ones I got.
And here are some close ups of the dash piece, its not quite finished yet as I need to smooth out some joins and overlaps... I've been painting the interior with satin black vinyl spray and its coming out great. I will need to get a custom dash mat made.
Can't wait to get my next order from Midwest Bayless so I can get the engine back together and into the car :D and start sorting out all the pipes and wires...

I considered sleeving the visor foot rods - but doesn't that make them too fat - looks like it will distort the outer clamp...

I got a little work done today. I set the valve shims YAY! :grin:, and took the engine off the stand ready for the flywheel, clutch and gearbox to go on, but my brother had our 36mm socket in his car at work, so I just did some vinyl spraying and swapped out the new rear wheel bearings.

Looking forward to hearing your driving impressions with that turbo-charged motor!

Did you pull the entire EMS from the Uno as well?

yup got em both...

yeah, I have both the wiring looms and both computers, I think one is for the timing and the other for injection... I'm still a bit fuzzy in that area, but I'm sure when the time comes I'll figure it all out :)

got some more done in the last couple of days, she's coming together now! I bought a oil temp gauge and am going to be using the PLX Devices exhaust temp gauge off of my 4Runner, once I get those wired in I can put the rest of the interior back together :)

And I did this the last week,

I needed new bolts to hold the spacers on because of the design of the inside of my wheels, so I bought some and machined them down on the lathe.

Now to go look for yellow silicon joiners and bends for the turbo piping :D

Roger,

What did you use for the heat blanket material?

I'll be after some of that soon.

Regards,

Brian

Thermotec Cool-it 48" x 24", its silver both sides with fiberglass insulation inside and about 1/2" thick.
I cut a template out first which made installation allot easier than expected :)

Back