Looking for 128 sedan/wagon strut dimensions

carl

True Classic
Looking for the distance between top and bottom spring seat and distance from lower spring seat to center of upper hub mounting bolt. Not convinced the front struts I have are actually for a US sedan/wagon as it sits ways too high even with euro springs and I have to compress those springs about five inches to get them on the strut. I checked, they are not X1/9 rear struts.

These are easy dimensions to take with the strut on the car and jacked up (no load on the suspension).

carl

I can only kinda help you here as I cut up and modified my only set of 128 struts. Luckily I took a few pictures comparing 128 and MK1 VW struts and inserts.

The 128 strut is on top in the first shot. It looks to me that it's right around 8" from the spring perch to the upper knuckle mounting hole.

20150705_143002_zpskrecrkrm.jpg

I can only kinda supply the other measurement as i dont have any assembled shots with the linear retractable. The strut guts, however, measure out like this:

20150705_142519_zpscug37rhu.jpg

Hopefully that helps you in some way. I still have those x19 rear struts and springs when you are ready for them. :)

Measurements...

A glorious sunny, warm, & dry Oregon day
allowed me to put the Estate out of hibernation.

Top of top spring perch, to bottom of bottom spring perch is 12.25"
(measured to the lowest part of lower perch that seats the springend)

Measuring from same lowest point of bottom spring perch,
to the CENTERLINE of the upper spindle/strut bolthead is 6.75".

Dimensions

Thanks, looks like I do have 128 front struts. Guess I have some spring cutting to do or go to X rear struts. currently have rear X springs on my 128 struts which actually gives me the ride height I'm looking for but they sit a tad loose between the spring seats.

I don't know why the car sits so high with the stock springs. I can't imagine removing the bumpers, battery and spare tire would lighten up the front end that much.

carl

I don't know why the car sits so high with the stock springs. I can't imagine removing the bumpers, battery and spare tire would lighten up the front end that much.

carl

Actually it would. I had a 74 4 door that got T boned. I was able to buy a 72 2 door shell and figured I'd just transfer my good parts over. It looked like a 4x4:shock:. As a frustrated young kid I took it to a local suspension shop, after the guy was done laughing he told me what needed to be done. After he realized all the work I'd put into it he kind of took me under his wing and showed me how to make a 128 that really handled on a shoestring budget. I wish I still had the picture of my car sitting in his shop next to a Ferrari Boxer that was getting his magic touch. I learned a lot.

Back