Looking for Late Console Panel Elec Receptacles

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Looking for the electrical receptacles/pigtails that plug into the push-on/push-off console switches on late model cars, I think '83 and later?

In the pic below, that would be the green, square white, red, or yellow receptacles. There's also one more (blue, IIRC) that's not shown in the pic. Would want them complete with a workable length of wire (say, 4-6") still attached to the metal connectors inside the receptacle.

c2fc1c0e-9885-4652-ba9e-2730b0f01b52_zpsd5bb137a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I need to add a few switches to the panel, but the factory switches use a very odd 5mm (.197 in) connector (see pic below) whose female mate I cannot find anywhere. If anyone knows of a source for the female 5mm connectors, that would be great too.

5939273-OE_zpsb94d6ccb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Check Molex

They list 40 female quick disconnects in 5.21mm (0.205 In). All of them are insulated, and none have the little tab to clip into a Fiat connector.

Perhaps they can be made to work; they are not correct though, and I know your standards of excellence.

http://www.molex.com

I did find Molex male and female terminals to fit the regular fiat plastic or nylon connectors. I had to buy a special crimper for them as well.

Paul Davock

Last edited:
If anyone knows of a source for the female 5mm connectors, that would be great too.
They are actually 4.75 mm, not 5.

Most of the electrical contacts for the X1/9 were made by AMP, now part of TE, and much is still available from them.

The male contacts on the switches are about 0.8 mm thick (female connectors are available for 0.51 and 0.81 mm tab thickness). Aside from connectors without locking tabs (the tabs that prevent the connector from pulling out of the housing), you can get two different styles of locking tabs. The most common style will not fit the X1/9 housings.

For AWG 17 through AWG 13 you need TE part number 281197-2, available from DigiKey for not much money. I have used these connectors on my '85 and they work well. If you look at the drawing, you'll see that the tab extends 5 mm from the end of the connector. This is a critical dimension, most of the connectors you find will have the tab extending to 6.2 mm which will not work with the Fiat housings.

TE also list part number 280919-2 for AWG 20 - AWG 15 wire, also available at DigiKey. I have not tried these.

Last edited:
Bump

Hi Bjorn,

Thank you:king: for the look-up info! If necessary I will go with the individual connectors themselves, but I am going to bump this thread a bit to see if I can scrounge up the OEM colored connectors.

Dan, I missed this post...

Let me see what I can find for ya.
I have lots of connectors and end connections.

Sorry for being asleep at the wheel Dan,

I've been traveling so much for my job lately I totally "spaced it".
I have them I'm sure, so let me know the colors you need.
I have them mostly with the original wires attached.
I remember there being about 5 plugs total.

Many Thx To Bjorn

Hi Bjorn,

I ordered the items you posted and installed them this weekend. They fit perfectly into the factory receptacles, thanks muchly for your assistance!!! :angel::worship::king:

Still looking for these plastic housings/receptacles

Bumping.

Still looking for some of these housings/receptacles, if anyone has 'em. Bjorn hooked me up with the electrical connectors inside, so no I longer have a requirement that the wiring and connectors be there.

Back