Looking for Oil pressure resistance values

bbrown

Bob Brown
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for X1/9 oil pressure resistance values as measured on a 1300 or 1500 engine that uses an analog oil pressure gauge.
You'll need an oil pressure sender to do it. (Not to confused with the oil pressure switch.)

Specifically, I need the following resistance values: (ohms)

1. With the engine off, measure the resistance (using an ohm meter with no other connection to it) from the oil pressure sensor output terminal to ground. Measurement = [_____] Ohms
2. With the engine running stable at 2K RPM, measure the resistance (using an ohm meter with no other connection to it) from the oil pressure sensor output terminal to ground. (same as above with engine running) Measurement = [_____] Ohms

Expected both measurements can be made on the 1K ohm scale. The more accurate, the better.
Is someone able to do this? I would do it but don't have an engine with an oil pressure sender available at the moment.

Also, does anyone have the specifications on the X1/9 oil pressure sender? Thanks in advance! :worship:

My understanding is the range for the sender is under 1k ohms - 300 ohms at 0, and 30 ohms at full swing of the needle.

Oil Pressure resistance

Bob,
I can do that for you,
I'm presently at work, if you can wait at the end of the day it will be a pleasure to do that for you.

I will be able to give the ohm value after supper.

Id also love to know this, to see if there are any other sensors that may work in place of the original one. There arnt really any new ones available are they? that arnt stupid money??

And id love to know weather my gauge is problematic or the sender is outa wack

Oil pressure gauge

Bob,
measurement is done It was easy my engine cover and decklid trunk are already removed for winter projects.
r4vTuA5.jpg

I observed the resistance vary between cold and regular warm engine.
Measures
RPM 0 ( engine not running) 297 Ohms
RPM ~900 Cold: 145 Ohms Warm: 180 Ohms
RPM ~1250 Cold:147 Ohms Warm: 164 Ohms
RPM ~2000 Cold: 127 Ohms Warm: 137 Ohms
RPM ~3000 Cold: 114 Ohms Warm: 111 Ohms
RPM ~4000 Cold: 108 Ohms Warm: 105 Ohms
RPM ~5000 Cold: N/A Warm: 102 Ohms

There is pictures of analogue Oil pressure gauge at different RPM

Xby2WVF.jpg

O6Y7jWY.jpg

2rNNDaN.jpg

DW2gBBv.jpg

X9Fvfut.jpg

Id also love to know this, to see if there are any other sensors that may work in place of the original one. There arnt really any new ones available are they? that arnt stupid money??

And id love to know weather my gauge is problematic or the sender is outa wack

A lot of the Itaian cars share the same "resistance". So it should be some sender out there you can use.

For a lot of the Fiat/Lancia/Alfas , (incl the X1/9) the ohm value varies but are approximately from 350 to 30 , and are backwards compared to the VDO and others.

VDO units have the value from 18 to 180, and are often more accurate.
It*s easy to make a converter on this (in theory) and with a VDO pressure gauge sender will probably make the unit in our cluster more precise.

Thank you Yves

This is perfect info, exactly what I've been looking for.
This gives me a range for a new replacement that has both analog output and switch output in 1 unit.
I will post my findings within this thread.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

I found an oil pressure sender that has a resistance range of 25-250ohms instead of 30-300ohms. It will require an adapter from the 14mm thread to it's 1/8" NPT, but it seems that this can be a workable alternative and with the added bonus of the oil press. needle swinging a tad higher on the scale, to settle the nerves.

It's a Chrysler part, P/N 4220332 and was fitted on certain cars from 1978-1985 (82-83 Chyr LeBaron w/ 2.2 engine works). The SMP P/N is PS-203. Again, this sender is 1/8" pipe thread, so a gauge adapter from autometer or the like will be needed to make this sender fit in the 14 x 1.5 hole.

Last edited:
I'm using a VDO 5 bar sender (gauge and idiot light output) with my fiat gauge, and the needle is reversed. If there is a way to create a circuit to reverse the signal so that the gauge reads appropriately, I'd love to know how to build it. :)

IMG_3249_zps4bf35d1f.jpg

Back