Looking for parts, can anybody help

Canada Fiat

Low Mileage
Working on my X 1/9 electrical and my dimmer for the lights is burned out so was looking anywhere cant find a replacement does anybody has a spare for a 1974 ?

Attachments

• IMG_4442.jpg
    IMG_4442.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4443.jpg
    IMG_4443.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 26
I have one here in Mississauga, Ontario. Where in Canada are you ??

See pic below. From a '74...but does not have what seems to be a 3rd terminal in your pic...

20240222_134819.jpg

I am just outside of Calgary, no 3rd terminal ? the 3rd terminal goes to my interior light switch as the positive wire, always could create a wiring harness and run the positive separate to the switch.
The whole Fiat x 1/9 is new to me so exiting every day.
How many more spare parts do you have laying around ? Not doing to well on my tear down HAHA

Oh...Calgary....that is not too close....

That is weird....yeah no 3rd terminal on mine. see below for a pic of the back of it. No evidence of one ever being there. I have no idea what is up there. Maybe somebody else here knows....maybe a mid-year change like lots of '74 bits ?

But does not look like much to this switch. No real electronics in it. Just looks like a sliding contact. Kinda looks like it could be taken apart and the contacts cleaned ???

I do have some '74 bits and pieces here from a couple of '74s I parted out. I do have a cracked console complete with all switches. I popped this dimmer out of it to take a pic of it for you. All the other switches are still there.

Let me know if you need anything else and I can look around.......20240222_141220_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I took mine apart thought the same but it is a circuit board on which a little copper contact runs around and one of the contacts going to my interior lighting with the fiberoptics is broke, tried to solder it but no luck either not a lot of room.
Otherwise looks the same besides i have a copper piece going to the little rivet at the end.
Do you have any side vents for the fresh air ?
What are you asking for ?

No...i dont recall any side fresh air vents around here. Lots of other bits though....

Strange that mine doesn't have that 3rd terminal ? Maybe...it fell off...but no evidence of that....

Perhaps...if you get desperate...and that is the only difference...and nobody else can help...you could maybe use your old terminal and attach it to mine with a tiny nut and bolt or something. And i have no idea if my switch actually works......

Given that.....it is yours for free if you want it...just pay for postage.

Anything else you are looking for ?

I went out the the garage and pulled the console from myv78 off the shelf. It has 2 spade contacts with red and blue wires, then a black ground wire riveted to the board.
20240222_145131.jpg

So maybe the 3 spade switch was very early Xs only?

Hmmm...that one from Obert looks identical to the one in the original post.......The one from your '78 looks quite different....

Looking at mine more carefully in better light.....the rivit is actually a bit loose...and partially broken away on the back side....

Given that...I now tend to believe that....the ham-fisted jerk that pulled the console from the parts car...erhh that might have been me......just yanked the wires off the switch.....and that 3rd terminal pulled off of the switch instead of the connector pulling off the terminal....

As i said....mine might be fixable with a nut and bolt...or new rivit.....if nobody else offers up a better one........

The potentiometer on a 74 requires 3 terminals as it is wired up as a voltage divider. This should be convenient if you switch the fiber optic illuminator bulb to an LED. Unlike the setup for the instrument panel lighting, it should not require a resistor value change when going to LEDs. In fact, you should be able to use the potentiometer to dim the console and the instrument panel if switching to LEDs.

Every x1/9 I have wired around the dimmer switch and just run them at full bright (which is still to dim for my taste) LED's helped a LOT!!

Thank you, go the dimmer but now i try to figure out where the middle wire does go to does it go to my interior light switch ? cant find anything in the repair manual and the other question i didn't mark the wires on the interior light switch does anybody knows what goes where ?

No...i dont recall any side fresh air vents around here. Lots of other bits though....

Strange that mine doesn't have that 3rd terminal ? Maybe...it fell off...but no evidence of that....

Perhaps...if you get desperate...and that is the only difference...and nobody else can help...you could maybe use your old terminal and attach it to mine with a tiny nut and bolt or something. And i have no idea if my switch actually works......

Given that.....it is yours for free if you want it...just pay for postage.

Anything else you are looking for ?
Thank you for the offer, I am sure will get back to you. How do you send PM in the forum as we dont need to keep everybody involved into our discussions HAHA

Thank you for the offer, I am sure will get back to you. How do you send PM in the forum as we dont need to keep everybody involved into our discussions HAHA

Okay. Looks like you figured it out. I got your PM. and replied. If you are logged in to the forum you will now see a red checkmark beside the envelope symbol on the upper right of your screen. Just click on that to see my reply....

hint -for you and others - if you go into your own Xweb profile - and click on "preferences" - you can select a box so that if you get a new PM - it sends an alert to your email address on file.

Last edited:
Back