looking for suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]looking for suggestions...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 4 2000 at 6:23 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "4";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("scott"); // --> </SCRIPT>scott <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well, back on the forum after a while (got married) - luckily, wife is an X fan!
We had a severe storm blow through last night and a huge limb blew out of a tree and on the X - not a good thing...

damage report:
driver's side A-pillar and windshield trim bent
winshield broken
huge dent in front luggage hood...

that's all I can find right now. I plan to call insurance folks tomorrow. Water has probably leaked in around the windshield (its not broken completely out, but it is pretty heavily damaged). Glass is covered 100% in SC (parts and labor). But I need to source a windshield, all of the trim and mounting hardware, a new hood, and not sure about the a-pillar. I am afraid they may total the car because of the unibody construction and the way it is bent.

Any ideas or advice on these parts and what to do, etc?

thanks -

Scott<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "-";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("kevin schooler"); // --> </SCRIPT>kevin schooler <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->i don't know how to fix it but....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 7 2000, 3:59 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
i have the parts and pieces if you have the welding skills.
-dd
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->emergency insurance scramble!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 10 2000, 11:38 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->That's bad news, but it is not a lost cause yet!

Be prepared to demonstrate to the insurance folks exactly what the car is worth, you can do this by gathering up a stack of advertisements of X1/9s for sale on the open market (you can get a few from the FS&W forum, Mirafiori.com, or newspapers/Auto Trader etc) - the more you can prove/establish that the cars have value, the more convincing your argument that it should not be totalled/scrapped... and in the event that were to happen, you could then use the ads as leverage to at least negotiate for a higher payout from them than they would likely have given.

You will handle each step of the process this way, defending your position on the car & backing that up with documentation (proof) that it is of value to repair it. Call around to the vendors, Obert, Vicks, IAP etc and gather up the best pricing for windshield, trim, incidentals, someone has the parts you need. Even a local glass shop can probably get the windshield, last time I checked, the owner of a local glass shop told me "I can get those windshields no problem", maybe you should check into it
happy.gif

As for the hood & parts you may not find at vendors, call around places that part the cars out, or to individuals in the forums here & elsewhere for used parts.

Get quotes from as many body shops as you can on the cost to repair the windshield frame, really it sounds like that is all the bodywork you'd need. The body shop knocks out the glass & fixes the frame, sends it to the glass shop (or has a glass contractor come onsite) to install the new windshield, and then you come up with a front hood (or provide quotes to ins for the cost of a used one), install it yourself or have the shop put it on, and then respray the car. Presto!

If you can gather enough info to prove that this entire bit can be done for less than it would cost to total/replace the car (based on the agreed value that you & ins come to of the car) then they will probably go for it.

Then of course, all of this depends on whether YOU really think it would be best to repair, or whether you should just fight to establish the best total payout you can. But that is your decision, based on your personal appraisal of this X.

LASTLY, don't forget that you CAN negotiate that YOU KEEP THE CAR as a stipulation of settlement in the event they want to 'total it out'.

I wish you luck, keep us informed!!!

Peace, -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back