Looking to install A/C thats not factory

MrX

Low Mileage
Just bought a 84 Bertone X 1/9 its in great shape but no AC and I live in Vegas. Any suggestions? Is it possible to get remanufactured OEM and install? Is there a site to order? I looked for another thread with info but only found the thread on repair of an AC. By the way this is my second X 1/9 had one about 20 years ago couldn't get it out of my system. Thanks

Last edited:
quick side note

...for those who may have missed it in fsw, 'Mr X' is John from LV, long lost Xhead coming off a 20 year dry spell by purchasing Rudy's gorgeous blue X.

John I don't know about your question myself (up here in Seattle if I had ac I would probably have just taken it off) but someone here will have done it, probably more than one way too... hopefully someone will weigh in with some ideas, Vegas can get kind of hot (!)

If you search in the old forum there was some extensive discussion about mid-2007.

You can install the factory stuff on an X that did not originally come with air, but it is a lot more involved than you would think. The underdash plenum is totally different, the instrument panel control head is different, the accessory drive in the engine compartment would require the A/C mounts for the alternator, the A/C engine pulley, the A/C compressor of course, plus a host of undercar A/C hoses, vacuum lines, the extra resistor for the different HVAC blower in the plenum, and of course a condenser up front.

If you wanted to do the above, the best way would be to have an A/C car at your disposal to compare to as you went along.

A better way overall might be to use the factory indash plenum and controls because they are so well-integrated into the car, and then have a local shop fab the rest.

Working AC

Personally I have an 87 with working AC. The condensor on these factory units are copper, you can repair it with a propane torch. Since the routing of the hoses and the evaporator core are special to the car, give Matt Brannon a call at Midwest X and see if he can put a total kit for you to install. ( I purchased spare every thing from him to keep my car's AC going)

In the engine compartment the main aspect will be room for the compressor and how to attach it to the engine. Hence my comment about using OEM parts for this installation.

When working and charged the unit does preform very well. What Southern Ontairo has is lots of humidity and there are times when dressed for an evening out that a car with AC is greatly needed.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I have an 'extra' complete AC Setup

But it doesn't include the changes to your alternator or exhaust setup.
That you'll have to manage on your own. If you're interested, email me.

Well Mr. X...

As I stated to the PO sometime ago... yur the best thing to do is to go with all new componants and remove the dash to do it.

This would involve wholesaling the original heater and fan unit also.

Vintage Air just came out with an total electrically activated system that involves no cables and something of that mind would be the simplest to install.

Congrats on your purchase btw, you'll not be sorry with that car.

So... as long as your real name is not Greg of Las Vegas... we're here to help.

Advise for AC for 77x

Also considered what it would take to get AC in my 77x since it can get toasty here in florida also. It has a 1500/5speed installed by the PO, and also the original dash AC controls but everything else was removed.

Would the earlier style controls would work with the later 1500 system ? Can these interoperate with a newer system ? The airflow from the vents is kinda low, wonder if it would be worth it...maybe stick to my early morning runs with the top off!

thanks, Jeff

JeffSC, 77x
Tampa

Hey John

I cannot remember the street rod shop in Vegas I went to but I know it was one of these in this listing from Vintage Air:

http://vintageair.com/dealers_mfr_state_search.asp?state=NV

I do have some OEM A/C bits that I can include when you pick up the car on Saturday, such as the evap unit, controls and some brackets. IF you want these, they would need to be completely refurbished; I picked them up as I was learning about A/C in the X1/9.

The route I would have gone though is as Tony suggests. We've had MANY conversations on the how-to.

See you on Saturday.

Thanks I appreciate the replies

I talked with Italy auto repair in Vegas said he could put something together for me - so I'll see what he can do. If not I think Tony's idea might be next. Kind of hate to put the AC in - but driving in City Traffic in 120 degrees with no air doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Been there, done that

I have installed a complete A/C on my late '79 GreenX.
I got a complete set from someone here, can't remember his name, and installed it in my car. It worked fine.
I had the engine out for other reason, which made it easy if not possible.
I got all and every bit for the installation. Every tube was marked and every wire tagged. The car is ready OEM with all openings and wiring in place.
So, if you get a complete set it can be done, even if not all components are in working order.
If you have any questions, I am here.

Back