Looking to sell?

xunonove

Daily Driver
Dear Xwebforum members,

This is my first post here. I've recently just about completed a 5-year journey restoring my 1982 Alfa Romeo Spider:

Now, I think I've been bitten by the X-bug. I'm looking for a new project. My three criteria are that 1) it be running (no cars in boxes please), 2) it be 1974-1981 and 3) that it not be heavily modified. Non-structural body rust, bad paint, bad interior, body work needed, poorly running motor etc is fine. These are the skills I want to work on. Original non-restored is what I'm seeking.

I'm in the northeast but would ship if the right car comes up.
PM me if you want to make space in your garage!

Thanks for listening,
Scott

Price?

Welcome to the forum.

Forum rules state a price must always be mentioned. And my wife would love to have an Alfa Spider.

Apologies

First post and I've already committed a faux pas!

Price depends on vehicle and condition - $500 to $2500 would be the range.

p.s. the Spider is not for sale :lol:

Welcome aboard Scott!

I think a price is only needed if one is selling a car... ;)

As for available X's, you can check Craigslist as a few pop up every now and again. NE cars tend to be pretty rusty. I'd suggest looking in the southern states for a good solid car. Also, prices are going up. A good runner will fetch over $5k pretty easily, but dont let that stop you, as there are several barn finds still left for a good price.

And lastly, there is a small band of us here in New England, and we seldomly have get togethers. Sometimes with our cars if we can get them running!

Keep in touch and if you want I can put you on the NE X'er email list!

Welcome Scott,

First and foremost, welcome to X-Web Forums, the BEST Fiat Website in the world. :)

If you seek an X1/9 to your description, particularly a New England car, it's likely you will have rust. Lots of it.
I've owned a "perfect" car but had to go south or extreme southwest to get one.
Unfortunately, the metal used and construction / rustproofing methods in these cars didn't lend themselves to a whole lot of protection.

There are some out there. I'm working on one now but I'm in process of replacing the floor panels and a few trace areas.

However, the real advantage to you is there are a few of us in New England with a LOT of parts and knowledge to help.
We even have meetups from time to time. These cars are FUN to work on, even if you're not initially mechanically inclined.

So if you're still looking, We'll keep our eyes out for one for ya.
Check our FS&W (for sale and wanted) section often, as folks here are posting X1/9's for sale all the time.

Good luck and enjoy!

Noooooooooo

Apologies, I thought the Spider was for sale! My wife smiled when I showed her the photo.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi and welcome to the forum. I just bought a 74 so i am putting my 78 up for sale right after i complete a clutch replacement. You can read about it here...
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/22281

It's very original and rust free (49 state car from AZ, now residing in So cal), the only think I dislike about it is it's a smog required (for Calif) '78, and the PO did a poor respray and bondo repair on dented (not rusted) panels. $3500 once the clutch is in, $3000 if you take it with the new clutch in the trunk waiting for install...

PM me if you have any interest.

Rob

Last edited:
Welcome

I probably have seen your Alfa in Brookline at Tutto Italiano.

You are definitely in the right place for all that is X-1/9.

Hi Scott,

Welcome to X Web.
I have a 7 X that needs a new home, I hate to let it go, but I need the garage Space.

The car is complete, but not 100% assembled. I currently have the engine out as I used it for autrocross and I want to keep that engine.
I can build up a 1300 and get it in the car.

I am located in Oregon, so shipping the car would not be a simple act, but not insurmountable.

If you are interested we can take this off line and discuss specifics.
This is the white car in my signature.

Welcome Scott

As you can see there at least a half dozen X guys in the Mass, CT or NH area. You are also lucky that we have the X's top electrical guru as a resource here, and a bunch of good guys to boot.

Welcome and good luck with the car, your criteria seem right in the ballpark so it shouldn't be too long before you find a good one.

And again, welcome to the board!

Replacing Floor Panels?

Bob,

I noticed in your reply that you mentioned that you were replacing the floor panels in your restoration. I just posted a thread on floor pans and wanted to get your thoughts on this. What is your plan for replacements pans? Are you buying/making/re-using?

Thanks!

Ed

Yep, making...

The first time I bought them. nearly $200 for a couple pieces of sheet metal that had 4 slits cut in them. Got them off eBay. My welder told me they were a waste of $. I have to agree after seeing them. So, I got some 20Ga metal to fab up another set, but this time I'm cutting a piece to custom fit the area that needs replacing. This should make the job a whole lot less expensive and labor intensive.

The first time I bought them. nearly $200 for a couple pieces of sheet metal that had 4 slits cut in them. Got them off eBay. My welder told me they were a waste of $. I have to agree after seeing them. So, I got some 20Ga metal to fab up another set, but this time I'm cutting a piece to custom fit the area that needs replacing. This should make the job a whole lot less expensive and labor intensive.

Same here. Brought them to my metal guy and he said return them he could do much better for less.

Back