Lots o’ Parts…

Brett

True Classic
Feeler post as I'm not sure anyone wants to take this on, BUT, I've had a few life changes and would rather this go to someone who will complete it rather than seeing it continue to sit in my garage... I bought this as the first X-1/9 purchased for me after getting my son one. But my son has since decided that he's rather have a new 124 Spider rather than a 30 year old X, and I've had some other things that are pushing out my "early retirement" for several more years and the reality is I don't have time to work on this and don't need this PLUS the one I bought back from my son. So, that's the story, but here's what I have:
  • Good shell with title
  • Rusty shell with intact glass, wiring, etc. no title
  • A professionally rebuilt balanced and blueprinted 1500 with big valve shaved head. I have about $6k into the engine build. Never fired, stored indoors wrapped in plastic, needs head attached.
  • Midwest-Bayless single-adjustable Koni coilovers ($2k)
  • Steve Hoelscher rebuilt transmission ($2.5k)
  • Another complete transmission with most gears brand new, (took a lot to source all gears, had to use multiple vendors, more than $500 in this too) currently in pieces on the workbench where I was rebuilding when Steve came out of "retirement" and started offering rebuilds again.
  • New, never installed carpet and door cards
  • Professionally reupholstered leather seats ($1k)
  • Miscellaneous other new parts like new rebuilt steering rack, front and rear sway bars, Rota 15x7 wheels (two still new in boxes), full clutch kit, clutch and brake masters, clutch slave, momo steering wheel and adapter, rear one piece spoiler, 75 grill and turn signals for small bumper or bumper less conversion, etc. A pair of aluminum radiators new in box, stainless steel expansion tank...And two huge shelving units plus three more pallets FULL of good used parts, more than enough to finish the build.including multiple bumper options. Extra doors, hoods, trunks, etc...
Overall, there is way more than $12k in parts. Is $8k reasonable for everything? I'm open to offers...
  • IMG_6515.jpgIMG_6516.jpgIMG_6517.jpgIMG_6518.jpgIMG_6519.jpgIMG_6520.jpgIMG_6521.jpg

Attachments

• 7CAF377B-50C2-4BCE-A879-F1ECDD205766.jpeg
    7CAF377B-50C2-4BCE-A879-F1ECDD205766.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 107
  • BC8E3699-74C3-421B-B743-8E7886FC6E22.jpeg
    BC8E3699-74C3-421B-B743-8E7886FC6E22.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
IF you decide to sell separately I would be interested in the seats, carpet, and door cards.......depending on color

Bump. Still looking to part with everything at once. Will add an entire 12x12 stall of parts including several dashes, lots of good trim parts, multiple engine covers, trunk lids, etc...all in perfect shape

-Brett

Last edited:
Brett, I can empathise with your situation. Due to changes in my personal situation, I may be in the same position before long. And I currently have at least 6 or 7 ongoing vehicle projects to contend with. Like you, I tend to collect all of the components for each build toward the beginning of the project, so I have a ton of stuff sitting here. I am considering parting-out as much as possible rather than hold out for one buyer to take everything. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Best wishes for your sale, the price seems extremely reasonable for the value of the parts. ;)

I have a liking for people named Brett ever since Brett Berk wrote this article for Hagerty after Concorso Italiano 2018 - https://www.hagerty.com/media/events/concorso-italiano-2018/ . That gold X1/9 is mine so imagine my surprise at seeing the story and photos.

Even if you're not *that* Brett, I somewhat understand your frustration from trying to sell off other non-X1/9 related things.

I'm not in the market for all the parts but like others have said, if you decide to let things go individually, I have a wish list - gauges if the needles are still straight top my list right now. I might also be interested in the seats - but would want to know the color and see lots of photos.

But can I ask where else you're advertising? The shell might have some value to some people - but can you detail where the rust is?

Maybe if you broke the shell out from the other items? That actually seems like it could be a deterrent as if the buyer isn't local, then you're talking a car trailer instead of say a van or SUV for everything.

Dag, i feel your pain.
Very hard to sell a project in this condition.
Everyone wants a car to drive and to skip the ‘10,000 hours to mastery’ part.

If going to do a complete project, this is the best way to get into one dollar-wise for sure.
Having a bare shell gets the best results.

Painful as it might be, selling parts off individually would be your best way to recoup costs.

I feel like a buzzard in a tree saying this,
But I’d be interested in the non-rebuilt trans/parts lot.

Last edited:
I have a liking for people named Brett ever since Brett Berk wrote this article for Hagerty after Concorso Italiano 2018 - https://www.hagerty.com/media/events/concorso-italiano-2018/ . That gold X1/9 is mine so imagine my surprise at seeing the story and photos.

Even if you're not *that* Brett, I somewhat understand your frustration from trying to sell off other non-X1/9 related things.

I'm not in the market for all the parts but like others have said, if you decide to let things go individually, I have a wish list - gauges if the needles are still straight top my list right now. I might also be interested in the seats - but would want to know the color and see lots of photos.

But can I ask where else you're advertising? The shell might have some value to some people - but can you detail where the rust is?

Maybe if you broke the shell out from the other items? That actually seems like it could be a deterrent as if the buyer isn't local, then you're talking a car trailer instead of say a van or SUV for everything.
Larry, are you still looking for gauges? I have a bunch laying around. I would have to check if they are straight needled. I am back on the forum after a long absence, (originally a member from way back in '04). Not a scammer, Jim Decker will vouch for me. I have tons of parts (and cars) that I am just starting to slowly work at selling.
Cheers
Pete

OK, I'll break this apart as below. All prices plus shipping.
Pictures of most of this stuff is in earlier in this thread, but happy to take (more) pictures for anyone interested in an item.
If the "big" (price or size) items sell, than I'll start listing more stuff.
  • SPOKEN FOR - Professionally rebuilt balanced and blueprinted 1500 with big valve shaved head. Never fired, needs head attached. Gasket set included. $4000.
  • SOLD - Steve Hoelscher rebuilt transmission: $2300. (not discounting Steve's work much)
  • SPOKEN FOR - Unassembled complete transmission: $500. Most gears brand new (sourced from multiple vendors to complete the set) along with a box of spare transmission parts. This transmission actually worked pretty nicely BEFORE disassemble, except it wouldn't go into 5th or reverse. This was due to a gear selector shift arm arm that had a loose engagement (the part that sticks off the shaft to actually select gears was very loose, so it wouldn't engage far enough. These aren't supposed to have ANY movement). New shift arm included. This means there are actually multiple very good gear sets in this package o'parts.
  • SPOKEN FOR - Midwest-Bayless single-adjustable Koni coilovers $1400
  • Rota 15x7 wheels (two still new in boxes, two wrapped in Yokohama s.Drive tires): $500
  • Rebuilt Italian Leather seats: $1000
  • Front and Rear sway bar kit: $300
  • SOLD - Good shell with title (doors with glass intact not pictured, but included): $400. Glass and wiring NOT included, see next item
  • BREAKING, most parts going with the good shell, but when I get to cutting it up for metal recycling, if there are fenders, quarter panels, etc. that anyone wants, please let me know so I know where to cut - Rusty shell with glass and wiring intact. Free to buyer of other shell, or free to anyone if the buyer of other shell doesn't want it. Will not sell until then. I say this mostly because I believe windshields are hard to come by. "Rusty" isn't actually that bad, I was using it for parts because I didn't want to deal with the rust on the windshield frame. There is actually very little other rust. But it doesn't have a title and has had a piece of the passenger side front fender cut off to repair another car. Depending on other sales, I could be convinced to cut other pieces off if people have need of specific parts.
  • SPOKEN FOR - Aluminum Radiator: $200
  • SOLD - Steering Rack with Poly Bushings: $150
  • Momo Steering wheel and hub: $100
I also have additional instrument clusters, steering wheels, interior trim pieces, plastic trim pieces, etc. If you are looking for something specific message me. I NEED to make some room in my garage and in my life...

Last edited:
IF you decide to sell separately I would be interested in the seats, carpet, and door cards.......depending on color
Seats, door cards, and carpet are all black. Pics of the seats are in this thread. Door cards and carpet are still wrapped in the packaging I got them from Mike Richmond in and still sitting on a high shelf in my garage. I can open if picture needed.

Spoken for parts:
Engine, disassembled trans
SteveH trans, steering rack, radiator

I don't know the build date on the shells, but believe they are both 1986. CA title for the "good" shell is an 1986 and last 6 of VIN: 154035
Last 6 of VIN for "parts" shell is: 155859).

Back