Loving the X

jvandyke

True Classic
Okay, it's been nearly 3 months since I got my X and I'm starting to grow into it. Jitters are subsiding, confidence and trust have been established, ride vastly improved, handling is getting there. Love the design (stowable targa and two trunks), potential great driving machine (will get there with new struts soon). Great looking, interesting, good mileage. I'm almost ready to pronounce "mission to X-dom accomplished".
Digg'n it.:lol:
While sitting at a light this morning I almost had to pinch myself as getting an X was a very very long shot not too long ago, and there I sat, my X idling smoothly, ready to take off, looking pretty good, feeling pretty good...nice way to start the day and summer.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON...

Are you NUTS, Jeff?

NEVER even think those thoughts... you'll HEX yourself!

The car HEARS your every thought and will cause you to stumble... which usually ends up having you walk a few miles... and these cars are NEVER finished or accomplished.

If that is what yur looking for... sell it NOW and get yurself a Civic!

Now get back to work, trembling with fear and all!

Maybe I should have said "stage 1; get one on the road daily" -mission accomplished.
There's SO MUCH to do yet, I know it will never end and that's fine. I like that.

But there MUST be an end

... to the work, and I will find it, dammit! :mallet: :dead:

I tell ya, after four years with my '85 X...

I find that this car was better designed and built than my '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg! When I was living in Riverside, CA and driving it as a near "daily driver" up to Palmdale, (an 82 mile drive each way, part mountain climbing), I never had any issues other than the regular maintenance typically a 25 year old car would need, but was never stalled anywhere. My VW Scirocco on the other hand, DID strand me a few times, ("conking out" on a busy street, bad cold starting problems, no start when "warm",etc) and my local tow company knew me as soon as they heard my voice on the phone, so I definitely couldn't say that about the X, sure, she needs shocks probably, a new radiator expansion tank, (old plastic is cracking), but no issues other than that. And OH yes, our car can and WILL read our minds! I had another car that I considered selling a couple of times and EVERY time I did, something went wrong with it! (It got "mad" knowing I wanted to sell it hahaha)

I agree with the sentiment...

... My first car as a kid in England was a Fiat 500 - and I'm so happy to be the owner of an X1/9 after so many years away(mine was given to me :grin:) - I love driving it, and all the attention it draws anywhere we go in it - even the guffaws of laughter from people who think it's just plain funny-lookin' (what do they know!)

The joy is always in the journey, so I'm prepared for a good ride!

YEP!!!

I've had and still have lot's of "exotic cars". They all have had funky gremlins. I have a 98 Boxster that I've only put 30K miles, the first time in my life I could by a nice car and KEEP it nice. Even it has crazy things with idiot lights flashing, sometimes the windows roll down automatically.

Owning my X1/9 is a definite CHOICE for me. I also have a beautiful 65 Mustang Fastback GT 4 speed. There's no shortage of cool cars at my house.

The X1/9 is actually a VERY COOL CAR!! It is really fun. The compact size makes it feel custom fit to your body. I like that. And I like a car that makes the most out of a little. Plus I don't think I've ever seen another one on the road for years. SAD, but true. But I like being unique.

And being UNIQUE, and making life INTERESTING, is why I will always have a place for the X1/9 in my garage. I'm trying to avoid buying several.......one stock, one race, one custom, one super good gas mileage, one with a brand new Fiat drivetrain (as soon as they get back to America.....), and on and on.....

Back