Lurker finally posting with questions

MTX19

Daily Driver
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking here for more than a year after purchasing my 1977 X1/9. Thanks to the info here, I got through replacement of the master cylinders among other things. Finally got the engine torn apart for a water problem. Hoping it was a head gasket but it turned out to be a cracked block. I found a 1979 to use as a donor. Body in poor condition but had an engine that a rebuild was started on and almost completed. It sat for 5+ years outside. I was hoping it was a 1500 w/5 speed but turns out he put a 1300 4 speed in the 79. No problem because it will make it a simple transplant.

OK here are the questions. I am planning on taking the rebuilt engine apart to inspect it since it sat for so long. It was never started. Do I need to use a new head gasket when I put it back together?

I got several bonus heads and am trying to figure out what engine they are for. All four heads I have have 138 in the casting. I understand that for blocks that does not really mean anything but what about heads. How can I identify if they are 1300 or 1500 heads?

That is all for now. I will be posting some pictures of the project soon.

Thanks

MIke

Welcome

Hopefully the intake was covered when it sat, it's a good idea to change the head gasket since you really don't know the history of the engine.
I wouldn't necessarily take the head apart if it passes visual inspection just ck the valve lash, find some Fiat head bolt tools if you don't want to take the cam box off. Check the rod and big end bearings and you should see some nice cross hatching on the cylinder bores if it was rebuilt.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Welcome to the Italian X family...

This engine will need a complete take-apart for inspection and replacement of any questionable parts.

Treat this engine as a rebuild.

If you can post images or post the casting numbers on the side of the cylinder head, we should be able to figure out what these cylinder heads might be.

Bernice

All gaskets will need to be replaced.

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking here for more than a year after purchasing my 1977 X1/9. Thanks to the info here, I got through replacement of the master cylinders among other things. Finally got the engine torn apart for a water problem. Hoping it was a head gasket but it turned out to be a cracked block. I found a 1979 to use as a donor. Body in poor condition but had an engine that a rebuild was started on and almost completed. It sat for 5+ years outside. I was hoping it was a 1500 w/5 speed but turns out he put a 1300 4 speed in the 79. No problem because it will make it a simple transplant.

OK here are the questions. I am planning on taking the rebuilt engine apart to inspect it since it sat for so long. It was never started. Do I need to use a new head gasket when I put it back together?

I got several bonus heads and am trying to figure out what engine they are for. All four heads I have have 138 in the casting. I understand that for blocks that does not really mean anything but what about heads. How can I identify if they are 1300 or 1500 heads?

That is all for now. I will be posting some pictures of the project soon.

Thanks

MIke

Not another MIKE...

Montana Mike???

Hey... Welcome anyway...

As others have said... Head gaskets MUST be replaced every time the head has been torqued down. That's just the way it is... One shot, 15 bucks minimum...

Now... as for the engine... Bernice is RIGHT as rain... but there is another GAMBLE you MIGHT wanna take.

My car sat for 7 years but was running well and stored properly... although I did not successfully get all the gas outta the carb... but...

Here's what I'm saying... you can relatively easily install the engine and trans as one unit and wire it up... Squirt WD40 into the cylinders and hand crank the engine... then electrically crank the engine.

Then take a compression test... if relatively good... change the oil, add more oil into the cylinders and then light it off.

See how it runs...

Mine is still on its first engine at 168,000 and stronger than ever...

If it does not meet your expectations... then pull it all out and your just out some time and oil...

Looking forward to hearing from ya and seeing your PHOTOS here...

Thanks for the reply's. I was pretty sure I needed to replace the head gasket if I took it apart but want to make sure. Don't think I will take the gamble since it was not properly stored and I will be taking the engine apart.

Here are some pictures of the 77. Yes, it currently is pink.

Fiat.jpg

Fiat-2.jpg

wow

i LOVE the wheels ........damn , i wish thoose would be avialable over here .....thanks for posting the photos :)

OUCH... At first I thought it was...

... a Mary Kay Cosmetics PRIZE... but the more I STARE, I think it was an advertising car for Pepto-Bismal!

WOW!

I tend to agree with Lappy... Paint it first for the sake of the neighbors and people living within a 26 mile radius... (although Lappy painted his a MILD METALLIC KERMIT GREEN... and if you look DOWN towards Australia, you can still see a greenish GLOW in the sky from its reflection at times in the stratosphere...)

HA!

But what a CLEAN, STRAIGHT body ya have there...

Hey... sell the wheels to Ovi in Romania and for the price he pays for shipping, you could have a brand new paint job!

Keep us abreast at how yur doin'... and again, Welcome to the addiction...

WOW

I think there are three of us here from Montana now!

Looks like we'll have to have a Montana X meet maybe this next summer in Lewistown or something (since that's where the 2.3 mile DOT D.R.I.V.E facility is) :headbang:

That color.........wow
I like the stripe though. Interesting effect. I still prefer 0 "enhancements" over stripes and such but that one is interesting.

Welcome Mike!

Glad you decided to come out of the shadows. :)

Good luck with your project. It will be very rewarding when you get your X back on the road and get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Welcome to the board.

I'll probably get flamed but.. I lOVE the pink !! :headbang:
Its like a big version of the pink Tomica X1/9 toy car :clap:

Eyelashes. :)

cbbd_1.jpg

Does Bayless have a kit for that?

The plan is to paint the car but I need to get it running first. I can do mechanic work in my little 2 car garage but body work and painting is a little too much.

Yeah...

...we can make you some. I think we have an old broom sitting around the shop. I can make you some eyelashes out of one.:nana:

Kalispell. Looks like we have a lot of the state covered. I bought both of the X1/9 from a guy in Milltown.

Mike

Yup,
I'm in Billings.

But I visit Great Falls occasionally since my parents are there.
I also visit Lewistown about as much for some track time. lol

MTX19
Just buy my fully built EFI 1500. Then your car will run REALLY well. :)
I'm painting my X in my two car garage right now.... laying down the final coat of primer tonight it looks like.

oh kalispell. Have you met anyone in the kalispell sports car club? theres alot of alfas, a few fiats and some british and porsches. Is the guy in Miltown named todd? i know him i think. He said he used to have a pink x/19 that was his wifes.

Back