making progress on roll cage

bikesandcars

True Classic
I got the roll cage in the lemons racer this weekend. I still need the back braces to the strut tower and gussets, but its done beside that.

It's a little funny because I used a front autopower u-weld it front with a custom bent rear hoop (back farther). The autopower bar combination is great for fitting a roll cage inside the roof line, but that didn't leave enough room for us, so we went custom

imag0115n.jpg

imag0112p.jpg

imag0114x.jpg

imag0113t.jpg

Welp... I dunno what the rules are...

... but it would appear ya might as well weld the doors shut also...

I also understand the NEED for this equipment but is sure hacks up one beautiful design.

Ya know... hiring a SHORT driver has more benefits than just installing a more aesthetically good looking roll bar... There is also reduced weight and wind resistence just to name two!

HAHAHA!

Keep up the good work and thanks for posting!

Good looking setup...

But don't put anything on the floor on the passenger side. From the positions of the bars, seat bolsters and seat wings, it looks to me like you will be getting in and out of the car from the right side.

We found that to be the best method of ingress/egress for the Dallara race car if you do not want to stand in the seat.

Ciao,

It's tight, but managable. our driver's aren't short, but they are skinny! I want to drop the floor pan, but don't have the time / budget

Regarding the door bars... I wanted to leave a gap for elbows, and since the car is low and we're racing minivans and the like I wanted high protection....

next time under less money and schedule pressure I"ll make the front hoop farther forward.

We don't mind standing on the seat, it's a race car after all, but going through the passenger side may prove the more comfortable route.

What we found....

>We don't mind standing on the seat, it's a race car after all, but going through the passenger side may prove the more comfortable route

That is until one of the drivers ends up sitting on gravel for his stint. A lot of folks will put a doormat beside the racer to clean shoes off. But, in the heat of the race, when everything is a**holes and elbows, those sorts of niceties get forgotten.

Ciao,

Back