Maserati...a clunker??

Status
Not open for further replies.
ha ha ha....the MGB was #10 on the list. I bet that will make the Brit owners happy!!

I don't see the Bug as #1. I don't even see it in the top 50. It was a VERY reliable car that got good gas milage and was cheap to own.

The Cadillac STS should be replaced with the Cadillac Caterra. The STS are decent cars, but the Caterra was horrible. Heck even the Cimmeron was better than the Caterra.

I have seen several Caterras...

...at local VOA (Volunteers of America) auctions. 97.99% of these cars are donated junk.:dance:

Duane I swear that you like to argue sooooooooooooo much that If I was to tell you that "yes you are right Duane". You would argue me till you were blue in the face that you were wrong. Let it go already. The BiTurbo was Trash, I know people that worked the service department and they were trash right from get go. They came in with less than 1500 miles on them with problems. Just do a bit of research you will see. The guy I got my two cars from was so desperate to unload them I traded him an alfa romeo 164L automatic for both cars and he threw in a 3rd Audi to boot....THe only Masser you should be interested in is the 87 and newer. The carberated Non Intercooled cars are complete Junk....Or maybe I should say they were great cars so that will get you to argue me the other way... Here is another interesting read..
http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2007/10/01/hmn_feature21.html

Funny JJ....what a funny guy.

If I wanted to argue JJ, you wouldn't be my first choice, trust me on that. It's more like 'vigorous discussion,' and, again....you'd be way down the list. On second thought....you wouldn't even be on the list. But....since you've decided to jump into the fray this evening...I'll play.

The Wiki article was just wrong, that's not an argument. I've read quite a bit of material, unlike you, to know right off the bat that something is fishy with the story, the dates were wrong, and De Tomaso did not design the Biturbo, period. This may come as a shock to you, but there are people in this world that study the stories behind the cars, the history, the people, and have the capability of retaining this knowledge in an ongoing fashion. Not everybody just takes pictures, posts videos, says "look what I bought" to pimp the car then sell it. Not everybody measures their worth by how much money they, or anyone else makes. Not everybody thinks they're some sort've car expert because they've owned hundreds of cars. Besides...who takes Wiki to be authoritative.....you???

.....when I said "used car salesman"....who said I was talking about you?? There are plenty of others besides you that 'buy/pimp/flip' (BPF) cars on ebay. Talk about taking it personally......do you think everything is about you or something? Oh wait....yes....you do. But don't get mad when someone calls you on something, it's nothing personal.....all part of the game. Move along, go make a video clearly showing the back window of one your cars and the streets of your community.....oh boy....just can't wait to see another one of those. The Consentino Stradale Replica does sound very cool, by the way, and seems quick. I'd wager you'll set it less than two years. You can quote me on that Spanky. Surely you can see that we like you here....we just like to pick on you a little. You're otay Spanky.

As far as the Biturbos go....sure they had issues, never said they were GREAT cars....just said they weren't "dog doodoo" and I still say it, and I will continue to say it.

So....uhh....it wasn't really an argument. Peace in the valley.

Last edited:
Though the BiTurbo...

...was never on my wish list, I have always been a bit intrigued by them. The particular car that was to be destroyed just seemed far too intact to be sent to the crusher. Any BiTurbo enthusiast must be cringing at that story. The body and interior looked pretty darn good. The mechanical issues of the 18K mile car may or may not have been serious, but the owner apparently wasn't a car-guy.
Whether or not they are junk overall, I have no knowledge, it just seems a shame to see any car in that physical condition to be cubed.
I would have said the same of it were a Pacer or even an MGB that was so cosmetically unchallenged.:laugh:

Last edited:
We need a mediator to render a verdict here

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5FMpmLo3c"]YouTube - Cash for clunkers wants to crush a great looking biturbo[/ame]

It IS mean...

It's obvious why they would pick that car for the CFC's segment. It's obviously a tragic irony on the clunker spectrum because it is the most un-clunkery of any clunker. It doesn't deserve that fate at all. Why ELSE would they pick it?

It was basically a biturbo Merak with extra seats.

I hope that was a metaphorical statement since I don't think there is one thing/part/design in common with the 2! But I'm sure you know that, as well as the Merak did have 4 seats (the rears were questionable as seats, but there). The Merak is another car on my 'affordable' list.

The strangest thing I've seen in the design of this car is that valve actuation of the 2 intake valves (the pressurized carb box comes in second). The car uses the same 'bucket/shim' adjustment as the FIAT, but the 2 intake valves share a common bucket and the top face of the valve stems are pushed by the EDGE of the bucket!! No allowance for clearance difference between the 2!!

I, like a lot of you, have seriously considered buying one of these cars. Luckily common sense comes back before I pull out my checkbook.

Damn.....scared the crap out of me. I turned up the speakers because I did not hear anything then................BAM!!!

Metaphor

As far as the engine is concerned.....I was paraphrasing engineer Giordano Casarini, who said..."Unbeknownst to anybody, we made a turbocharged Merak." The engine was, obviously, in the front. The Merak was a 2.7 liter whereas the Biturbos were either 2.0 or 2.5 liters.....so.....perhaps the similarity is merely the fact that it was a six cylinder. Don't know if it was a reduced bore and stroke of that same six cylinder block or not.

Your knowledge of valve configuration is far beyong mine. The Merak is a very interesting car to behold up close. I can't get over why they are still so expensive, even in marginal condition.

No problems, just good ribbin'. :grouphug: I knew there had to be some quote/comparison out there that you were referring to.

maybe loosely based on the same block, but the cam drive is completely different to think they would use the same casting.. The Merak is a very 'interesting' car, especially the early ones with the Citroen hydraulic system! (brake 'button', who would have thought of that - oh ya, the French!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back