Matte Black look

I think it takes some getting used to, but the look is growing on me... on the right car.

There's a German X in matte black- don't know if you've seen it- looks great.

I love that look...

Very stealthy. I am going for that with my 68 Mustang.

n1253028430_72388_4031.jpg

That Alfa looks seriously sleek. I like the X done up that way too. Thing is, I would think any blemishes at all in the paint will be hugely noticeable. I bet fingerprints show up pretty bad.

There are actually all sorts of new paint products coming out to get this look...

I bought a recent 'Street Rodder' magazine and they showed a company that offers a new 'matt clear' color... It gives the desired look over the color you choose, while providing the protection against stuff like fingerprints. There was a picture of a C5 vette with the 'flat black' look, with the two red 'hash mark' stripes on the front drivers fender... I thought it looked really tough. Wish they'd have shown what it looks like on cars painted other colors...

Here is the article...
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/1009sr_nostalgic_hot_rod_primer/index.html

and the car I thought looked really rad... love to see an X with a similar paint scheme...

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/1009sr_nostalgic_hot_rod_primer/photo_07.html

I wonder how'd it look with the plimsol indent in gloss red....

mocked it up in photoshop.....no.

Last edited:
my very very own opinion.

I don't like it..:eek:

FOR ME it looks like unfinish, I saw a couple Ferraris and Lamborghinis and don't make me change of mind.
Also you need to keep SUPERCLEAN or it will looks dirty!
(see the greg's X1/9 picture, tires are dirty and all car looks the same also all details on the body pop ups!)

maybe I am old school.
but it's just my 2 cents.

I love matte finishes, so I approve. The goal for my car at the moment is a Matte black on matte red.

That alfa is amazing. I wouldnt think twice about buying it if I had the cash.

Prototipo

A large number of the cars of the day had been finished in a satin/matt finish. This was to make advertising more visible when photographed. The Alfa looks good, not sure about the black x for me. Needs some silver wheels to break it up a bit.

I'm with you on this one Ricardo!

Way back in high school we called that kind of paint "primer"!!

Back