Matthew, thought this might...

One thing the author leaves out is reason why the press likes Republican candidates that challenge the GOP but not so much Democrats who challenge their party. The Press likes Huntsman because he sounds like a Democrat on a few issues. They like the fact that he legitimizes Democratic issues at least as much as the like that he undermines GOP issues. It comes from the fact that a large portion of the press are Democratic partisan hacks. Not that there aren't GOP partisan hacks in the press but since they are in the minority they don't get away with the bias as much. Fox News notwithstanding.

When the press does push a Democrat candidate that is challenging the party it is usually one that is challenging the centrist establishment from the "left" rather than one that is challenging the party with GOP issues. Case in point, Barrack Obama.

That may be mostly true...

but I find the characterization of Obama as a leftie pretty suspect. On the one hand he pushes for these overtly liberal programs like Health Reform but then runs as close to the middle ground on that as it is possible to go without actually abandoning the whole thing. He pushes the stimulus through but then a significant hunk of that is just tax cuts and another hunk aids corporate interests. Then on the war and the military there isn't a fag paper to slip between him and the neocons-the talk may be different but the results are all the same. The whole Wall Street bailout wouldn't have gone down any differently unless Paul was in charge-no GOP president would have stood up to them in the pinch or done anything dramatically different.
He is a leftie from a perch out on the far right but to liberals he is just one more centrist like Clinton. It's his greatest weakness-you have to choose sides in politics and he doesn't and winds up looking bad to everyone. You may be too young to really have a feel for what true liberal Democrat at the Presidential level looks like-but I'll tell you they didn't look like Obama.
But, that being said I think you are mostly correct about the constituency of the press bias on a numbers basis-I would hesitate to take the same line on an influence basis however. But, I'm not of the school of thought that you can have an unbiased press. It just isn't possible.

I was mainly referring to the way the press dealt with Obama during the presidential campaign. At that time all evidence suggested that he was a radical leftist, certainly to the left of Hillary. He hasn't governed that way and has really been more like GWB than anyone could have possibly imagined. But the press isn't nearly as kind to him anymore either.

Point taken...

but again I think there is a frame of reference issue in calling him 'radical left' just because he was off a bit from Hil. From where I sit Kucinich doesn't even look very leftish. But where I sit is not a position that is strictly domestic. Against a run-of-the mill European Social-Democrat Obama looks like Reagan. The issues that exercise so much of our political thinking aren't even issues anymore in Europe. Even the Tories have found out that they will just have to live with the National Health. There is no real vibrant 'small government' ethos much of anywhere but here, and in the scheme of things that is the great overarching one.

Back