Memorial Day wrenching...

budgetzagato

Administrator
I hate to say it but I spent most of my day with projects. I listened to much coverage pertaining to Memorial Day but I admit my mind was on the tasks at hand. I do appreciate the sacrifices many a soldier has made for my country. It's just not that obvious.

After yesterday's 5 hour marathon of mowing, I thought I'd spend some quality time with my vehicles today.

The Scorpion has a Too Damn Loud exhaust, and on saturday I met one of the previous owners of my car up north in Bellevue and bought a stock exhaust from him.

I thought I'd be clever and swap just the mufflers. Turns out I should have checked the indexing of the 180º turns at the inlets of the two mufflers, they are at different points on the compass and cannot swap. Damn! :wall:

Now I have to decide if I want to install the entire stock exhaust. Part of me wants to, the part of me that enjoys hearing and talking and the stereo, and the stock system has heat shields for the manifold and for the CV joint. The other part of me is afraid to lose a little of the shocking :eek: performance this car has. :confused:

The other issue is the CAT which is leaking pellets and seems like it would be difficult to gut. I have an extra J pipe that I should be able to make a "test pipe" from. Just a lot more hassle than I anticipated. And the necessity of a new manifold-head gasket.

On to project 2...

My trusty Vanagon has an exhaust leak where the front and rear manifolds join the cast iron 2-1 manifold. I tried to separate the parts with a grinder etc. but one side is inaccessible without removing cooling parts, more than I want to deal with at 5pm on a holiday. The parts are surprisingly rusty, seems like we've started salting our roads. The copper plated nuts I installed a year or two ago are unrecognizable, and the older nuts and bolts holding together the joint I was working on, as well as the flanges, were nearly gone. So, back together as well as possible and figure out how to place a $350 order for new components from Van Cafe. :cry:

Not how I wanted to end this weekend! :(

Greg, I too spent Memorial Day wrenching on an old Italian car, and my (also) trusty Vanagon. The Italian car was, alas, not my X, it was my 83 Spider. I have a number of projects I want to finish on that to make it more attractive to potential buyers. It will be sold to get (a) funds and (b) garage space freed up for my X to come home from the storage garage down the street.

The Spider just got a new clutch, so I'm working on reinstalling the transmission and all of the support items like a speedo cable, new clutch cable, etc. Quite a few hours putzing around with that.

The Vanagon Westfalia got a thorough "post-camping" cleaning. The missus and I spent 4 days down at Jekyll Island GA a few weeks back, and I hadn't gone back through it cleaning it up.

I feel your pain dealing with the Vanagon exhaust system, it is quite the maze of pipes/header/hangers, all of which rust and corrode, and resist all efforts to head off the rust. Copper nuts, copper washers, ceramic coatings, various paints, nothing keeps that exhaust from turning a nice rusty brown.

My Memorial day wrenching...

Basically did a "patch job" on my wife's old Chrysler Lebaron convertible.
She has a new car now so I'm fixing her old one to be sell-able. :confuse2: X1/9's aren't the only things that rust...

Also did a paint job on a new set of X1/9 struts. They now come in black only, so I decided to paint them Rosso Red to make a fake set of KONI struts by applying a set of Koni labels to them. :nana: Photos later, and on the exxie workshop forum. :grin:

Last edited:
-To Combine-

What do you think.

Paint the preferred QUIET exhaust ROSSO RED ?

There seems to be a lot of that red color currently invading my 850spider workspace.

p1010004jge.jpg

lezesig
'72

No...

I think it would look out of place in the soon-to-be-perfect 850 Spider engine bay. Besides, think how much work it would be; you'd have to strip it, prep it, paint it and it would still probably burn off. :brow:

Follow-up...

I used some red hi-temp RTV silicone to seal up the Vanagon exhaust leak and it worked fine... for now.

For the Scorpion I plan to fab a test pipe this weekend and go from there.

Back